Mesaba, advise needed

HulkHogan

Total Time
Alright guys I admit it, I am a newbe to this industry and a newhire at XJ. I was hired this summer into the CRJ an now, like many, am looking at loosing my job already. Question is do I start looking and applying for a new job now in anticipation of a furlough or do I ride the ship untill it sinks. From my perspective I don't see any way I am going to come out of this with a job, enlighten me as to how it possible that I could. What are the implications of this multi-class bid?

This is such a terrible thing to happen to our company I applied there and wanted to work there because I have friends who love the place. Its a shame to have this happen to such a great group of people.

thanks for the input, flame on

aviatrix

Total Time
4:20
Do you really have 466.7 hours of flight time, or is that a lie?!?!

embpic1

Total Time
>10000
aviatrix said:
Do you really have 466.7 hours of flight time, or is that a lie?!?!
What about an ATP with four hours and twenty minutes lol.

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Total Time
Dunno?
might as well through some apps out to get the ball rolling and then make a decision if offered a job. Horizon, skywest, xjet, eagle are all hiring i am sure i have left out a few. good luck hoss

dwstl2327

Total Time
enough
sorry to be blunt, but dont be a dumba$$ and stick around whle they loose all their jets and fly with 30 some saabs for the rest of their career

avrodriver

Total Time
>1
Start applying...everyone in the industry is going to know your situation. I'm sure they will work with you.

AWAC is actually actively going after CRJ guys from Indepence, Comair, PCL, and I suppose Mesaba knowing exactly what they are dealing with. I know it's short notice, but if you are interested in the east coast and can make it to MEM in the morning. They are holding a recruitment session.

For the Comair guys facing the same story they will be headed to CVG sometime in the future.

Details at: http://www.airwis.com/car_pilots.htm?linkSrc=6

Good luck all.

cougarx530

Total Time
4000+
HulkHogan said:
Alright guys I admit it, I am a newbe to this industry and a newhire at XJ. I was hired this summer into the CRJ an now, like many, am looking at loosing my job already. Question is do I start looking and applying for a new job now in anticipation of a furlough or do I ride the ship untill it sinks. From my perspective I don't see any way I am going to come out of this with a job, enlighten me as to how it possible that I could. What are the implications of this multi-class bid?

This is such a terrible thing to happen to our company I applied there and wanted to work there because I have friends who love the place. Its a shame to have this happen to such a great group of people.

thanks for the input, flame on

Hulk,

Depends on where you live. If MSP is home, stick it out. Even if you do get furloughed, hopefully won't be forever. Just get a job as a hotel van driver making similar pay until recall. If you cumute, wait until your furlough notice, then consider looking elsewhere (Horizon). Keep in mind that you can't cheat the system. About the time you make it through training at your new company, they'll announce reductions in flying, and you are furloughed AGAIN, meanwhile XJ announces growth. I'd stick it out if you like it here, good company (people). Mesaba will be alright when the dust settles.

What you worried about anyway, you're in the CRJ. When management starts furloughing out of seniority, you'll be sitting pretty!

Good Luck

HulkHogan

Total Time
Thats what I am afraid of, furloughing out of seniority. I REALLY dont want anything to do with that game. I sure as hell dont want to be the junior guy who has a job while those senior to me do not. And what could I do about it if that happens I cant not show for work I dont even have union backing.

and no I have standard new hire mins 1500 450 :)

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Total Time
Dunno?
Apply elsewhere and then make choices when you have options.

aviatrix

Total Time
4:20
embpic1 said:
What about an ATP with four hours and twenty minutes lol.
Well, no, actually........4:20 is in reference to a well-known joke!!!! Did you really think I had 4 hours and 20 minutes of flight time and an ATP?!?!?!
Nice av......hope that works out for ya! Whatever you can get, eh?!?!?

W&BWiz

Total Time
I have to agree with Cougar on this one. I got hired a little over a year ago and one thing I know is that you can't predict what airline is going to be good and for how long. Hang in there, there is more around the corner for XJ. They aren't going to leave us flying 55 saabs and 2 crj's.

platinumclub

Senior Pic
Total Time
Training contract still in effect with the BK filing, if not, I'm looking.

embpic1

Total Time
>10000
aviatrix said:
Well, no, actually........4:20 is in reference to a well-known joke!!!! Did you really think I had 4 hours and 20 minutes of flight time and an ATP?!?!?!
Ummm... No. Kinda figured it was a joke. Hence the "lol".

Nice av......hope that works out for ya! Whatever you can get, eh?!?!?
Ummm.. Sure. Thats how I pick up chicks. Works like a champ!

captpetefam

Takin' one for the Team
Total Time
growin
Stick it out

I have wayyyyyy to many friends who have been hit hard by the "grass-is-greener" bug then to be laid off by THAT airline or jet operator. Stick it out, and if you get furloughed use the company for what you want until you get recalled. If you're fuloughed, the State and, indirectly, the Company pay for some of your "re-education and qualification for other employement". Go get your ATP, get a type rating, go do ATC traing. Whatever it is, use their money once you're laid off. If you're not laid off, then you stuck it out and will reap the reward... someday.

As far as your concern about flying while those senior to you get furloughed, don't worry about it. I'm flying the Avro in MSP right now but I am at the bottom. If anyone get's cut out of order, it will be me. HOWEVER, if that happens, I won't be upset with you in the least. You weren't the one to cause that. I will be GREATLY upset with Spandex and Pulley and our Union Leadership. I think the Union is doing what they can for now but if there is a furlough-out-of-seniority, then what the heck good is a union and seniority system anyways! Yes, I'l be upset, but not at you. Keep flying.

CP

ejpogo

Total Time
11000+
PIC time talks in this industry. If it does not look like you will upgrade within a respectable time, use XJ to build time to get hired at a better company. The more time you spend as an FO at XJ, the less likely you will want to leave when things get worse. I have friends who have been at XJ for 5+ years, and this is one of those companies where things just get worse, like Piedmont.

A19

Total Time
8000+
Not true things got better for one at least one month of those five years. We had massive growth............A WHOLE TWO CRJ's... THANK YOU ON-TIME PERFORMANCE, and RELIABILITY BLAH BLAH BLAH

Flechas

Total Time
$$$$$$
If you really like it there, wait to see what happens. Mesaba seems like a good company to work for. If you find yourself out of a job, look for another job that doesn't require that youresign your seniority number and wait to see what happens. You can always take soime time off, rack up your credit card bills and go backpacking in Europe or wherever it is that you've always wantd to go. All this if you are young, single, and good looking. If you have a family to take care of, by all means start working on a plan B, but don't leave Mesaba unless they let you go.

Best of luck to you and to all the Mesaba brothers!