MESA to fly for Delta???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NYRANGERS

I know they can't fly for us due to our scope (MESA has a 90 seater). I wonder why JO thinks they are in the running for Delta flying? Maybe this is part of our concessionary deal, MESA can fly for Delta....they just can't use the 90 seater.

Hey ASA and Comair.....time to stop giving your money to the limp rjdc and focus on protecting the flying you have. You rjdc guys have been so busy trying to kill scope, this "new problem" has shown up.

Reuters
UPDATE - Mesa CEO downplays raising Atlantic Coast bid
Monday December 1, 6:45 pm ET

(Adds details, comments)
NEW YORK, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Mesa Air Group Inc.'s (NasdaqNM:MESA - News) top executive on Monday downplayed the possibility his company might raise its unsolicited $512 million takeover offer for Atlantic Coast Airlines (NasdaqNM:ACAI - News), saying it is focused now on taking the offer directly to the airline's shareholders.

"I think there was a time when we could sit down and talk (with Atlantic Coast)," said Jonathan Ornstein, Mesa's chairman and CEO, to a group of investors and analysts in New York. "But after a few lawsuits you lose your appetite to do that."

Ornstein said later when pressed on the topic he "would not rule out anything," but indicated his focus now is launching a hostile tender offer for Mesa's regional rival and gaining enough shareholder support to elect independent nominees to the company's board.

Ornstein previously had indicated he would be prepared to sweeten the bid for Dulles, Virginia-based Atlantic Coast.

However, he noted Monday the company's recent agreement with UAL Corp. (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News), which would permit Mesa to provide regional service for United Airlines should it acquire Atlantic Coast, was designed to add to the company's earnings based on the current exchange ratio.

Ornstein said the offer could ultimately be adjusted depending on the outcome of talks with Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE:DAL - News) concerning a similar relationship, but he indicated those talks would not be completed before the tender offer is launched.

"There will be some conditioning in the exchange offer with regards to the Delta offer," he said. "I don't think Mesa or Atlantic Coast shareholders would want us to proceed without getting that deal done."

Both the tender offer and board nominee request could be put to Atlantic Coast shareholders in a matter of days. Ornstein said the Securities and Exchange Commission (News - Websites) could sign off on its consent solicitation request as early as Tuesday.

That request, submitted in October, seeks to gain enough shareholder approval to force an election on seven directors nominated by Mesa for Atlantic Coast's board.

Mesa, based in Phoenix, is expected to follow the consent request with a tender offer to acquire Atlantic Coast's outstanding shares for 0.9 shares of Mesa stock. That currently values Atlantic Coast shares at $11.29 per share, or a slight premium to the company's closing price of $11.19 on Monday.

Atlantic Coast has repeatedly rejected Mesa's offer, and said it is committed to pursuing a plan to launch a low-cost airline.

I don¡¦t think I¡¦ve ever posted but I¡¦m pissed!
I¡¦ve heard from a VERY good source that Delta has included mesa in the 45 RJ ¡§offer¡¨ that was presented to ¡§DCI¡¨.
I don¡¦t get it. But it seems its all about the lowest of the low. EVERYONE who wants to actually have a future in flying needs to take action.
What the hell is going on? Its not like we hold the lives of 30+ people, as well as our own(!), in our hands or anything. Why are we getting the shaft? And by ¡§we¡¨ I mean all of us as regional pilots. What is the deal with all those who somehow are content with being paid nothing for what we do? Why are we worth less than your average Wal-Mart employee? (notice they are in capitals and mesa isn¡¦tƒº ) That Wal-Mart SOB cuts keys for your car, if they are qualified to work the automatic key machine, but can out bid you on your next ebay purchase because they make more than you.
What is up with that!!??
Please people¡K Stop under bidding the industry. Why are you doing it?

MAG will never get DAL flying. For the price Johnny charges, we could never provide the level of quality that they demand.

MESA can't even get financing for jets they have ordered so far. I don't see them getting any more orders for anybody in the near future.

If MESA takes over ACA, then they immediately get 87 CRJ's plus $250M in cash. Strange how capitalism works that the company with no cash and a lousy credit rating can takeover a bigger and better run company.

Mesa was included in the RFP for the 45 phantom jets also. Even the mgmt at the DCI carriers are unhappy about this. But I think that with the take-over attempt/covering IAD for UAL, Mesa may not be able to handle any new projects.

Hopefully DALPA concessions don't relax rules on the 90 seaters. Like what has been said on other threads, DALPA doesn't have to give in on anything.

ASAer against the RJDC and for scope(49% is enough). I don't know what the DAL guys think, but 90% of the guys I know here move the RJDC literature from their mailbox to the recycle bin. We'd all rather see more opportunities at better airlines than to ensure a permanent position at a stepping stone. For some of us this may be permanent, and we deserve better pay and QOL, but as the economy improves it will be nice to see more opportunties for career advancement.

JO said in his "investor" (read: investor, as long as you're not an ACA employee) conference call yesterday that he could do DCI flying "cheaper than the wholly owneds."

Everybody has a dog in this fight.

Latest resources

Back