Mesa to acquire Scenic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoxPilot

I heard about this when I was jumpseating the other day from a very senior Mesa pilot. From what I hear they want Scenics 1900 routes and want to add more of their own out of VGT. They will go from VGT to GCN then on to HII where they already operate out of. The are not a tour operator and dont want to become one but GCN is the money maker destination so they will keep it. He said that they will also eliminate all the DHC-6 aircraft since Scenic doesnt own all of them anyway making them a all 1900 fleet. I guess the bad news is for the current Scenic pilots as Mesa doesnt want to continue paying the Scenic pilots what they currently make. All Scenic pilots will have to reinterview for FO positions with Mesa. It sucks when some company buys another and then they throw out the old pilots like trash. The word from him was that the owner is selling all of his aviation businesses. He just sold an FBO or buildings or both at LAS for $60 million. The word is too that they want the VGT property for a cheap turboprop MX base and for reservations or something.

BoxPilot said:
I heard about this when I was jumpseating the other day from a very senior Mesa pilot. From what I hear they want Scenics 1900 routes and want to add more of their own out of VGT. They will go from VGT to GCN then on to HII where they already operate out of. The are not a tour operator and dont want to become one but GCN is the money maker destination so they will keep it. He said that they will also eliminate all the DHC-6 aircraft since Scenic doesnt own all of them anyway making them a all 1900 fleet. I guess the bad news is for the current Scenic pilots as Mesa doesnt want to continue paying the Scenic pilots what they currently make. All Scenic pilots will have to reinterview for FO positions with Mesa. It sucks when some company buys another and then they throw out the old pilots like trash. The word from him was that the owner is selling all of his aviation businesses. He just sold an FBO or buildings or both at LAS for $60 million. The word is too that they want the VGT property for a cheap turboprop MX base and for reservations or something.

And this one time at Bandcamp................................

I think I am truly dumber for reading this.

Nice try.....

Scenic owns at least 6 of the DHC-6s and the 1900C. Plus the owner just bought a Hawker for corporate use that is basically maintained by Scenic.

Yamagata Enterprises sold the Las Vegas Executive Air Terminal becasue the offered price was just too much to turn down. My understanding is that it was sold after a couple of years of increasing offers from the same company. Someone that REALLY wanted.

With all the canyon operators dropping like flies since 9/11/2001, Scenic is in a very strong position and offers an product that few match. Business is constantly growing. I doubt you will see Scenic sold anytime soon.

BoxPilot said:
I heard about this when I was jumpseating the other day from a very senior Mesa pilot.

Interesting how rumors always originate from "very senior pilots."

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
What exactly is a very senior Mesa pilot? Been there three years?

Burrito, Yes, three years is very senior at Mesa because they all get out of that he!!hole for better places. They've been leaving in droves for Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran, UPS, and FedEx lately. Makes the seniority list move lightning-fast!!!

First this Mesa puke has heard of this little rumor. However, that dosen't mean much, since the 1900 drivers and Jet drivers at Mesa work for different certificates/airlines (Mesa and Air Midwest, respectively) . . . and make up/trade seperate rumors . . .

That being said, Mesa has been consistently losing EAS contracts around the country lately -- most recently to Great Lakes in the PHX area. The 1900's we do fly need homes, and our ALPA MEC has a ballot initiative that has been sent to the pilots for a "merger fund".

So I'd say this rumor might have some legs . . . but not many.

Oh, and the 1900 drivers are either WAY junior (can't hold jet captain slots), or WAY senior (don't want to upgrade to jet for whatever reason). The latter are mostly on the east coast though.

I love threads like this. Instead of giving it a title like Some Mesa Guy Told Me Mesa Is Going To Acquire Scenic. you call it Mesa to acquire Scenic as if you had sat in on the meeting or something.

Are you a journalist? :) Good spin!

Latest resources

Back