Mesa to acquire Scenic

BoxPilot

New member
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Posts
2
Total Time
2200
I heard about this when I was jumpseating the other day from a very senior Mesa pilot. From what I hear they want Scenics 1900 routes and want to add more of their own out of VGT. They will go from VGT to GCN then on to HII where they already operate out of. The are not a tour operator and dont want to become one but GCN is the money maker destination so they will keep it. He said that they will also eliminate all the DHC-6 aircraft since Scenic doesnt own all of them anyway making them a all 1900 fleet. I guess the bad news is for the current Scenic pilots as Mesa doesnt want to continue paying the Scenic pilots what they currently make. All Scenic pilots will have to reinterview for FO positions with Mesa. It sucks when some company buys another and then they throw out the old pilots like trash. The word from him was that the owner is selling all of his aviation businesses. He just sold an FBO or buildings or both at LAS for $60 million. The word is too that they want the VGT property for a cheap turboprop MX base and for reservations or something.
 

miles otoole

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Posts
948
Total Time
10k+
BoxPilot said:
I heard about this when I was jumpseating the other day from a very senior Mesa pilot. From what I hear they want Scenics 1900 routes and want to add more of their own out of VGT. They will go from VGT to GCN then on to HII where they already operate out of. The are not a tour operator and dont want to become one but GCN is the money maker destination so they will keep it. He said that they will also eliminate all the DHC-6 aircraft since Scenic doesnt own all of them anyway making them a all 1900 fleet. I guess the bad news is for the current Scenic pilots as Mesa doesnt want to continue paying the Scenic pilots what they currently make. All Scenic pilots will have to reinterview for FO positions with Mesa. It sucks when some company buys another and then they throw out the old pilots like trash. The word from him was that the owner is selling all of his aviation businesses. He just sold an FBO or buildings or both at LAS for $60 million. The word is too that they want the VGT property for a cheap turboprop MX base and for reservations or something.

And this one time at Bandcamp................................

I think I am truly dumber for reading this.
 

Jim

Fly Navy!
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
720
Total Time
11000
Nice try.....

Scenic owns at least 6 of the DHC-6s and the 1900C. Plus the owner just bought a Hawker for corporate use that is basically maintained by Scenic.

Yamagata Enterprises sold the Las Vegas Executive Air Terminal becasue the offered price was just too much to turn down. My understanding is that it was sold after a couple of years of increasing offers from the same company. Someone that REALLY wanted.

With all the canyon operators dropping like flies since 9/11/2001, Scenic is in a very strong position and offers an product that few match. Business is constantly growing. I doubt you will see Scenic sold anytime soon.
 

PCL_128

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
15,296
Total Time
5000+
BoxPilot said:
I heard about this when I was jumpseating the other day from a very senior Mesa pilot.

Interesting how rumors always originate from "very senior pilots."
 

Anais Nin

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2003
Posts
96
Total Time
4200
Mmmmmm Burritos said:
What exactly is a very senior Mesa pilot? Been there three years?

Burrito, Yes, three years is very senior at Mesa because they all get out of that he!!hole for better places. They've been leaving in droves for Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran, UPS, and FedEx lately. Makes the seniority list move lightning-fast!!!
 

FreedomAList

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2005
Posts
101
Total Time
8000+
First this Mesa puke has heard of this little rumor. However, that dosen't mean much, since the 1900 drivers and Jet drivers at Mesa work for different certificates/airlines (Mesa and Air Midwest, respectively) . . . and make up/trade seperate rumors . . .

That being said, Mesa has been consistently losing EAS contracts around the country lately -- most recently to Great Lakes in the PHX area. The 1900's we do fly need homes, and our ALPA MEC has a ballot initiative that has been sent to the pilots for a "merger fund".

So I'd say this rumor might have some legs . . . but not many.

Oh, and the 1900 drivers are either WAY junior (can't hold jet captain slots), or WAY senior (don't want to upgrade to jet for whatever reason). The latter are mostly on the east coast though.
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
I love threads like this. Instead of giving it a title like Some Mesa Guy Told Me Mesa Is Going To Acquire Scenic. you call it Mesa to acquire Scenic as if you had sat in on the meeting or something.

Are you a journalist? :) Good spin!
 

NoJoy

LAMA/400
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Posts
529
Total Time
10,000
Its funny how these "amazing" rumors are even spread. I heard there is going to be a Mesa 1900 base in DEN. Right.
 

CitationLover

Aw, Nuts!
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Posts
3,316
Total Time
1500+
FreedomAList said:
First this Mesa puke has heard of this little rumor. However, that dosen't mean much, since the 1900 drivers and Jet drivers at Mesa work for different certificates/airlines (Mesa and Air Midwest, respectively) . . . and make up/trade seperate rumors . . .

That being said, Mesa has been consistently losing EAS contracts around the country lately -- most recently to Great Lakes in the PHX area. The 1900's we do fly need homes, and our ALPA MEC has a ballot initiative that has been sent to the pilots for a "merger fund".

So I'd say this rumor might have some legs . . . but not many.

Oh, and the 1900 drivers are either WAY junior (can't hold jet captain slots), or WAY senior (don't want to upgrade to jet for whatever reason). The latter are mostly on the east coast though.

Freedom Fokker,

I doubt a merger fund is being created for that all encompassing scenic merger. Can you say staple if scenic rumor is true?
 

BoxPilot

New member
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Posts
2
Total Time
2200
Irish Pilot said:
I love threads like this. Instead of giving it a title like Some Mesa Guy Told Me Mesa Is Going To Acquire Scenic. you call it Mesa to acquire Scenic as if you had sat in on the meeting or something.

Are you a journalist? :) Good spin!

Sorry I just wanted it all to fit on the thread page so I shortened the title. Thats why the first line explains it was heard from someone else.

Jim said:
I doubt you will see Scenic sold anytime soon.

Sorry to break it to you but I have heard from a few people that Scenic is on the block. Just because a company is doing good doesnt mean the owner wants to keep it.
 

incognito

Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2002
Posts
11
Total Time
5,000
Sour grapes

BoxPilot said:
Sorry to break it to you but I have heard from a few people that Scenic is on the block. Just because a company is doing good doesnt mean the owner wants to keep it.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that BoxPilot just joined, and this is her first post. Sounds like a disgruntled employee to me.
 
Last edited:

FreedomAList

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2005
Posts
101
Total Time
8000+
CitationLover said:
Freedom Fokker,

I doubt a merger fund is being created for that all encompassing scenic merger. Can you say staple if scenic rumor is true?

Fokker comment notwithstanding . . .

(sniff, sniff, pause as I wipe a tear from my eye, then smile as I look at my bank statement that has 80k in it from Freedom earnings)

I doubt very much a staple would ever take place with our current MEC. They'd rather appear fair in the eyes of the "brotherhoood 'o pilots" rather than protect the interests of our own pilot group (ok, I'll accept the irony of that coming from my handle here). Take that to the bank.

As to our meger fund . . . those in our MEC know something, but they ain't saying anything other than "trust us".

AS IF . . . .!!!!!!!

(seriously though, I haven't heard anything about a Scenic acquisition)
 
Last edited:

FlyWithSean

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Posts
63
Total Time
...
I think this thread is in the wrong category

May I suggest.........YGBSM...(You've Got To Be Spoofing Me)!
 

Flywithmike

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Posts
64
Total Time
6000+
I was told the other day (from a very senior 777 captain) that United is looking to expand their route structure to include Grand Canyon West Airport. He told me that they are looking at a merger with King Airlines to fly the Cessna 207 and 402's. He seemed very excited about the prospect of transitioning to the Cessna fleet. He also mentioned that the 777 was a perfect training aircraft to learn the basics before moving on to something as complex as the 207. He said "the merger between United and King Airlines has been in the works for a some time now and the merger would be a leap forward for United in these tough economic times".
 
Last edited:
Top