Mesa shuts down another one

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kevin_p said:
My money would actually be on Mesa getting in bed with a vacation charter company (like Omni) and doing inter-island feed for them.

i'll take your money!

synchoff said:
Predatory? I don't even know what that means.
www.dictionary.com
pred·a·to·ry
Pronunciation Key (prd-tôr, -tr)
adj.
Living by preying on other organisms: a predatory mammal; a predatory insect.

Of, relating to, or characterized by plundering, pillaging, or marauding.

Living by or given to exploiting or destroying others for one's own gain.

[Latin praedtrius, plundering, from praedr, to plunder, from praeda, booty.

I.P. Freley said:
LOL So this is MESA'S fault!?

You're blaming them for shutting down a company that never flew?

Priceless.

FlyHi blames mesa in the article. I would say the answer to your question is yes, it is mesa's fault. FlyHi's employees are all on the street this weekend because of mesa. I hope none of the fine folks at Aloha and Hawaiian aren't next.

Charter companies do exactly that. They are chartered by tour companies to provide the aircraft and the crew to fly the people who booked a package from them. The people who fly on Omni are going wherever Omni takes them, then they stay in a hotel which is part of the package. Why would Omni, or Ryan Int'l, or any other charter outfit feed an interisland carrier?
kevin_p said:
Uhhh....that's why Mesa is there...they get subsidized because there's no way to make money when a total of 5 people per day want to get in or out of Hobbs, NM. That's like saying Great Lakes would fail if it weren't for EAS or Southwest would fail if it weren't for them charging people for their tickets. Gimme a break...your "fact-based" analysis sounds like something from Miles O'Brien.

On another note, I don't think Mesa wants to be independent. They saw what happened to Indy. JO doesn't like risk. I still think this will all be a codeshare for someone with their usual fee-for-departure. Whether it's for the new US Airways or someone else, I have no idea. My money would actually be on Mesa getting in bed with a vacation charter company (like Omni) and doing inter-island feed for them.

islandhopper said:
2). The old independant Dallas RJ system failed in 1996-7 and helped cost Risley his job.

As much as I dislike Mesa and the late Larry Risley I must disagree. Risley started the RJ thing in Texas for the purpose of having the RJ's on the certificate and training up and running in order to get the USAir RJ code share. Up till then very few commuters were able to field RJ's quickly or effectively. Risley won the code share only because he could field 10 painted crj's in less than 2 weeks. Later when Risley got into a pis*ing match with United over increased costs at the new Denver airport he was kicked out. JO shut down the Texas operation to spite the old man.

RF

miles otoole said:
Maybe Mesa can give out free chicken wings onboard and call them "fallen enemy chief bones." Could be a great marketing ploy.

are you kidding me? We dont even give out peanuts on our flights! You're fired!

OB-CPO said:
FlyHi blames mesa in the article. I would say the answer to your question is yes, it is mesa's fault. FlyHi's employees are all on the street this weekend because of mesa. I hope none of the fine folks at Aloha and Hawaiian aren't next.

Im sure all three of them had a nice severance paycheck and were sent off in style with a full bag peanuts! At least they didnt start it up and have it die off just as fast....than your talkin 50 people or more. If everyone hates JO as much as they say they do.....why does everyone follow his every move? I work for the MoFo and dont hear this $hit until I see it on here first. If you hate him, dont worry about what he does....unless your think its going to affect YOUR job. It does suck A$$ here sometimes but i feel that I have pretty good job security. Good luck to all that are going through tough times right now. Hang in there!!

Spinplate said:
Im sure all three of them had a nice severance paycheck and were sent off in style with a full bag peanuts! At least they didnt start it up and have it die off just as fast....than your talkin 50 people or more. If everyone hates JO as much as they say they do.....why does everyone follow his every move? I work for the MoFo and dont hear this $hit until I see it on here first. If you hate him, dont worry about what he does....unless your think its going to affect YOUR job. It does suck A$$ here sometimes but i feel that I have pretty good job security. Good luck to all that are going through tough times right now. Hang in there!!

Speaking of Mesa. I checked out our new crew room in ORD the other day. We share it with Air Whisky, Trans States, and Mesa apparently. I decided to pick up a Mesa pilot award schedule packet. What I saw blew my mind:

1) Average days off were 12 per month on every aircraft.
2) Many of the line holders only had 10-11 days off.
3) They have lines where your block for the month is higher than your pay credit. Guys blocking 83 hours and getting payed for 81. How does that work?
4) 4 day trips where you come back and sit 6 hours of reserve on your last day.
5) Several 3 day trips worth 6 hours total credit
6) No block or better

I know CHQ doesn't have the best contract but from what I see ours blows Mesa's away. Many more days off and more efficient trips and pay credit. It just still amazes me that people go work at Mesa when others are hiring. As JO has said he knows he's paying the Mesa pilots too much as long as he can keep filling classes.

OB-CPO said:

PLEASE... What's that, the "I read it in the newspaper so it must be true" argument? Or is it the "Well managment said it, so it must be true" argument?

Not that I'm defending Mesa, but really... let's try to not believe EVERYTHING that we read. It's called a critical mind. Try it sometime.

Besides, if FlyHi can't take some competition, they are in the WRONG business anyway. Start ups are easy, it's the long term running of an airline that is difficult... Which I might add is something Mesa has done successfully ... No wait, they aren't really an airline, just a vendor, nevermind....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back