• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa recalling 80 pilots starting in March

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Finding 80 pilots. Everyone is acting like we are trying to find a cure for HIV.

They are plenty of Comair, PNCL pilots out of work. I will be more than happy to have any Comair guy or gal, come pull gear for me :)

I would fly with any of them also, if they apply. As of right now, no one has applied that meets the 1500 hour mins. We only have less then 50 who want to come back from recall. That is why it is doom for Mesa for the staffing of these addtional 9 crj's, I am not talking about staffing at other regionals.

Since bids, lease, and compensation rates are not publically known, I'd like to know how you know that:

a) they bid 100K/mo.
b) they are the lowest bidder.
c) they are flying at a loss.

I always take things here with a large salt lick, but I believe Mr. Rivoli does have a point.

Hard to prove it as fact except Mesa of all regionals could not get it with our current contract, JO wanted a 5 percent paycut from the whole pilot group just to get the bid low enough, and the fact, our management told us skywest was bidding 100k per plane is where that came from. Hard not to believe when we needed all that just to get our bid low enough to compete with skywest. So I don't see how skywest didn't get it at a loss. For those of you claiming skywest does not bid at flying at a loss, then prove that!!!

So you guys are saying that in a blind RFP bidding process, Mesa somehow knew how much Skywest bid ahead of time and then decided not to bid? Does that sound remotely feasible to you? I call BS.

There was some chart posted a few years ago comparing Mesa's labor+management costs vs. SkyWest's. If I recall correctly, the overall cost was the same, but the difference was that Mesa's management took a much larger percentage of the pie, and SkyWest's front line labor took a bigger share on their side.

So you guys are saying that in a blind RFP bidding process, Mesa somehow knew how much Skywest bid ahead of time and then decided not to bid? Does that sound remotely feasible to you? I call BS.

Yes it does happen. This is exactly how mainline management whipsaws the regionals submitting RFPs. They play the two lowest off each other. Happens everywhere in business.

"As of right now, no one has applied that meets the 1500 hour mins."

Ok all you Chief Pilots out there you need to update your "electronic screens" to include helicopter time. Every Navy pilot goes through fixed training up to commercial mins and then some of us get to go back and instruct in fixed wing. I have filled out 10 online apps and they all strip my helo time even though I have my AMEL ATP...I have over 2400 hours but airlines like Mesa, Pinnacle, Skywest etc never see my total time and pass me over...someone needs to tell them a guy flying a helo in the wx, with three engines, four hydraulic systems, retract gear and flying the approach @115 kias to a postage stamp moving at night in the persian gulf is a little more challenging than Cessna 152 VFR to an 8000' runway...I'm not discounting the cessna time but stop discounting my heavy helo time...

Last edited:
^
That does seem ridiculous. But being passed over by Mesa and Pinnacle might actually be a good thing. I'm stuck at one those Turds currently.

Hard to prove it as fact except Mesa of all regionals could not get it with our current contract, JO wanted a 5 percent paycut from the whole pilot group just to get the bid low enough, and the fact, our management told us skywest was bidding 100k per plane is where that came from. Hard not to believe when we needed all that just to get our bid low enough to compete with skywest. So I don't see how skywest didn't get it at a loss. For those of you claiming skywest does not bid at flying at a loss, then prove that!!!

Why didn't you say so? We all know that JO is ALWAYS completely truthful and honest, he'd never ever lie!:laugh:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back