Mesa Positioning for Chapter 11?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2) cant pay the bonds due in Feb.
(trading right now 34 cents to the dollar due to the economy)

You're trading $0.34 ($0.33 now) NOT because of the economy, but because that's what you're worth. Mesa was only $0.10 a share more a few months ago, nothing has changed since the drastic downturn. Mesa has been threatened with delisting and has yet to pull itself over $1.00/share which it must maintain for 6 months. This is a feat which XJT managed in only a month or two... Mesa has been this way for quite a while...

Don't like to see people lose jobs, but good luck...

My fear is that they will go Ch 11, restructure, pilots will take further cuts, further lowering the bar, and giving them better ability to low ball. Bankruptcy could be bad for all of us, be careful what you wish for.

Yes, because no pilot at any major and/or legacy carrier would ever "take further cuts, further lower the bar" by having a Ch 11 bk judge shove a new contract down their throats. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right . . . Ch 11 will make Mesa "leaner and meaner", and would ultimately hurt all other regional lift providers if they manage to find DIP financing to keep the thing afloat.

In order to make it out of Chapter 11 they have to secure DIP (Debtor In Possion) Financing.

Good luck trying to find financing now. Mesa's only real assets are it's spare parts inventory - which JO hawked this summer. All the planes are leased and they have no other tangible assets.

Mesa BK = Liquidation. Chapter 7 BK here we come!

Mesa Sucks!

Last edited:
Although it would be nice to eliminate pilot positions that place downward pressure on average regional jet wages, I think it is a huge mistake to assume another airline's success based on Mesa's failure. Airlines occasionally die, but not easily.

This all reminds me of Delta's success relying on US Airways failure that never happened.

Well, if Mesa goes into Chapter 11, Delta can void their contract without having to go to court. Also, if the rumors about United are true, then that gives them an out as well. Mesa is already the cheapest thing out there, and the majors are starting to realize that you get what you pay for.

Hahahahahahahah!

Coming on the heels of the announcement that American Airlines is considering "a la carte" pricing for their seats, I find this argument that "the majors" care about anything other than the bottom dollar hard to swallow.

Skybus took a great deal of scorn on this website because they followed the exact same model.

Cost containment is the only thing airlines care about. Period.

Well, if Mesa goes into Chapter 11, Delta can void their contract without having to go to court. Also, if the rumors about United are true, then that gives them an out as well. Mesa is already the cheapest thing out there, and the majors are starting to realize that you get what you pay for.

Any business in their right mind who lets a subcontract will have an escape clause to void the contract in the event the subcontractor files BK. Even UAL is smarter than that, to say nothing of DAL.

Bankruptcy will get you out of your debts and obligations...it does not automatically ensure in all cases that those with obligations to you have to honor them.

I think a MAG BK would be a fast-track to liquidation. Everybody would be happy to see them go...only their 900's would be missed by USA.

Mesa has been threatened with delisting and has yet to pull itself over $1.00/share which it must maintain for 6 months. This is a feat which XJT managed in only a month or two...
XJT only did this through the reverse stock split. The value of the company isn't really any more than it was before.

none of these point to BK..

We would go BK if:

1) We lost the injunction (Not likely)

2) cant pay the bonds due in Feb.
(trading right now 34 cents to the dollar due to the economy)

We are not headed there yet, and no filings have been made. There is some wiggle room when It comes to paying off bonds. A new TA might make it to the pilot group soon..
Are you serious! this all points to bk, Get over it you guys will not get a TA. I'm not surprised though you took a job at Mesa. Dumbass. been thru 2 BK's and this how it starts. If you guys get aTA then your in for a world of hurt, like I said though you won't.

does mesa have the funds/assets to afford to go into chapter 11 or are they more likely going to go straight to chapter 7?

I'm no judge and no expert in finance but I was under the impression that to file for bankruptcy entailed a lot of mulah

1) Mesa Reports 3Q Loss

2) Mesa to sell Kunpeng stake

3) Paul Foley named COO

4) Pinnacle to fly Freedom CRJ-900s for Delta

5) Shutuplic to Hawaii

6) Admin/Support layoffs

Nope. Ch 7. You have to have money to go into and come out of CH 11, Mesa does not. Buh bye.

Latest resources

Back