MESA on 60 day notice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J32driver said:
Why not just one.... PRATT if it came from them. Why would Fairchild box up an engine, ship it back to PRATT, and then ship it to a 3rd party? Can't think of any other way to get both names on the box.
Then you throw out the possibility that the box had been in the Fairchild pool at Fairchild and then shipped back to Pratt after they went into insolvency, and then Pratt never changed the box that it was in before shipping it to ZW. Just as 2 of the Jet Aero boxes still have "Allison" stamped on them in several places since Jet Aero never pulled the turbines from the box and they sat in storage for 15+ years.

I just want to make sure I understand things.... A 4 month bag smasher who served 3 years ago is telling 5 and 7 year employees who are still doing the job how reality goes???? Maybe you should just simply listen to what we are telling you.
No, I'm saying that the information I got when this all happened (which was when I still had direct ties to the airline and was working around the planes on a daily basis) is different from yours, and it directly conflicts with several other posts as well. Again, if Pratt picked up the DoJet contract, explain to me why they wouldn't pick up the DoProp contract. I've got 3 independent sources that gel to the fact that the 328 costs didn't go skyrocketing because the Power by the Hour contract wasn't picked up. They may have gone up due to other things, but it's very unlikely to have been because of the engines. As CRJDriver pointed out, the leases were up on the 328s. That's a *MUCH* more likely explanation as to why the planes were retired.

Also, I will make note of the fact that it was mentioned that the weight restrictions weren't that much on the 328. I beg to differ. Going into Gunnison especially, the flight would be restricted to 20-25 passengers, and a single "normal' bag per person, plus a small carry-on. The DASH-8 can carry a full load of passengers and bags in the same situations that the 328 was getting restricted like that.

As for Lone Star - I got that direct out of the AWAC company history packet that was given to all of my ramp class when we started. If it's wrong, then tell the company historians to get their facts straight.

Also, let me say one more thing- if you took anything I said as anything more than simply disagreeing with your point-of-view on the situation, then I'm sorry. I simply didn't see things happen from the same perspective as you, and I got information from people who I consider to be reliable sources (after all, because of them, I knew about MESA trying to come in with the DASH-8s 2 months before it was official, and then MESA getting the JetExpress contract with Frontier), and it struck me as odd that I've got independent sources telling me one thing about costs (and incidentally backed up by PWC since they have a blurb about Power-by-the-Hour contracts on their Turbos if you go to their website) and you're telling me something else, and telling me that it's what the DO said, which is just as "I heard it from" as me hearing it from mechanics who have been working on the planes for 5+ years.

Last edited:
This thread is giving me a headache. It has been WAY hijacked away from its title. You are arguing over semantics and stuff that doesn't matter anymore. The Dorkprops are gone from AWAC, it doesn't matter why.

I think you all should duel, with flintlock pistols and all. That'll settle this little disagreement we have here in a very genteel way.

No really, I'm serious...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back