Mesa now loses the previously awarded Delta flying due to attrition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rogerwilcoout

Friend at Mesa says they lost the 14 CRJ 900 flying for Delta because Delta has realized that the pilot attrition is bad there at Mesa and they would not be able to staff the planes. Any truth to that?

Probably not. Maybe, yeah probably if you had a friend there say it.

no word from J.O. on the company e-mail ... he loves to send those out. They are his rally cry e-mails. "We need to do better ... yada, yada, yada ... so we can cut costs ... yada, yada, yada ... and we can have job security ... yada, yada, yada." (Did I get my point across that his e-mails are long winded and boring)

I think your friend is mistaken. Many people at Mesa have mistaken the Comair award (14 CJR900s) as being the Mesa 900s (I guess because the coincidence of both awards being 14?) They were two separate awards... the 900s at Comair are to replace older -100 models, while the 900s to be operated by Mesa were additional capacity. Neither Delta nor Mesa has announced repeal of the award. The attrition was already an issue when DAL announced awarding the 900s to Mesa... THAT would have been the time to consider the potential problems. Incidentally, despite what many may think, Mesa pilots cringe at new flying right now because our staffing levels aren't ready for it.

You are missing the point: The CRJs to MESA were awarded by the BANKRUPTCY JUDGE!!

That's right, as were the 9E CRJs. I'm sure DAL has some get out clause, should ability to perform become an issue. They were awarded simply on price, nothing else - hence the Comair award AFTER they exited BK - price wasn't the issue then, fattening up Comair for a sale was the issue.

If staffing was an issue, a 40 or 50 seater would be parked before a 900 got turned away.

Latest resources

Back