• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa now bunks together on cont duty

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to ask: WHY DO PEOPLE PUT UP WITH THIS STUFF? WHY NOT QUIT?

reminds of of the old joke:

The novice ramp worker draws up smartly next to the newly arrived airliner and plugs a hose into the belly of the aircraft. Turning to his vehicle, he hits a switch. A pump starts up and the contents of an onboard tank begin to flow. Unfortunately, in his haste and anxiety to impress, he hasn’t quite completed the connection. The hose springs free and the contents of the tank – the toilet waste tank, that is – gush forth and soak him from head to toe.

Standing safely upwind, an older hand yells: “You’ve done that three times since you started – isn’t it time you found yourself a new job?”

“And get out of aviation!?,” retorts the newbie, dripping but undaunted. “No way!!!!”

Do the kids in Farmington (Mesa Flight Academy) sleep in the bonanza at night......just to get use to the lifestyle. They could have a sleep over and go over E6B problems and fly the 1900 on flight sim, all from the comfort of their sleeping bag.

Just shows, massive growth is nice, but so are good work rules in your contract. Note to John Prader: If a contract does not maintain some standard for work rules, across the industry, DON'T sign it!!!

The real issue here is not that the pilots are having to work all night, or that they do or don't get a hotel room. Many safety-critical occupations require that people be on duty during the wee hours of the morning. The issue, in my opinion, is the ridiculously high duty periods that are authorized by the FAA and the fact that these crews are often expected to go from one side of the clock to the other (basically working swing shifts) during the course of a 4 day trip. If the media or ALPA really cares about safety being compromised due to tired or fatigued crews then more people should be lobbying the FAA to get these rules changed. Working overnight isn't necessarily unsafe by itself, but being on duty for 16 hours and trying to do a job where one mistake can cost lives is a real problem.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I believe other, more "esteemed" regionals such as QX also require crew to share rooms on CDOs.

I could be wrong but I believe other, more "esteemed" regionals such as QX also require crew to share rooms on CDOs.

QX doesn't do CDOs anymore, and to my knowledge we've NEVER been forced to bunk together. Sh!t, I never even had to do that at a dirtbag 135 freight op.

The only crews who generally have to room together are the guys flying for NASCAR teams. Whole different deal though....usually one crew, one airplane. This Mesa gig you would have no idea who is sleeping in your room from one night to the next.

Not that it will matter since facts don't really belong on FI.com, but the room sharing only applies to CDO's where the break is scheduled under 4 hours. Anything over 4 hours everyone gets their own room just like any other overnight. Not that this makes a difference since it's a stupid policy anyway.

Bottom line is we shouldn't have CDOs in this industry at all. They are unsafe. Mesa's are by far the worst of all the regionals with the notorious LAS camping trips. Thankfully, I don't have to do them since I'm not PHX based, but it's on my LONG list of things to be addressed in the next contract.

Fix it or burn it down.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back