• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa now bunks together on cont duty

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I said it once, I'll say it again. Send the link to all the people you know and then send to all the investigative shows, then write your senator.

I did! it took about 20 minutes TOTAL

back in the 1930/40's (and into the 50's from what I know) the whole crew shared a room on layover. PAN AM , TWA, AA, UAL, EAL ect.....

This isnt the 1940's anymore. This is unbelievable. Ive said it in a few other posts and ill say it again, im so glad to be out of this dump of an industry. What a joke.

As long as RJ's aren't falling from the sky, this will continue to be the norm.
We've recently had one not make it into the sky in the first place where sleep deprivation is one of the suspected contributing factors. The MESA pilots should just roll out their sleeping bags in the terminal where the passengers can see them napping. At least they'd be able to watch cable.

there is no way in hell i would ever share a room with a fellow pilot. unless the pilot is female, take a hike. i snore , toss, turn, fart, etc. and it wouldn't be fair to the other pilot. likewise, if he snores, i can't sleep. GET SOME F---ING BALLS AND call in FATIGUEd. TELL

back in the 1930/40's (and into the 50's from what I know) the whole crew shared a room on layover. PAN AM , TWA, AA, UAL, EAL ect.....

I dont know how accurate that statement is, but I do know the standards for FAs were a lot different back then. I wouldnt be surprised if pilots pushed for that back then. hahah

Not to beat a dead horse, but:

1. The 1 (ONE) hotel room "policy" shared by 4 mixed gender crewmembers has been in place for at least 4 months. It certainly pre-dated the TV story by at least 2 months.

2. The 1 (ONE) hotel room policy was driven by legal issues, not company concern for properly rested crews. Issues like:

• Continuous use APU noise complaints in smaller airports (ex: MRY)
  • Unattended crews in a secure ramp area w/o proper SIDA badges (everywhere)
  • The hotel room is really a "crew room" away from the airport
3. The 1 (ONE) crew room acts as a subtle pressure to not call fatigued. ("didn't you get a hotel room?")

News story didn't change squat. All (!) crews are still sleeping on the airplane, because nobody wants to share a hotel room with 3 strangers, and you get more rest sleeping on the plane anyway (at least 1.5 hrs more).

And really, with one bed, one desk chair, and one (sometimes) comfy chair, who wants to go play "musical chairs" (last one doesn't get a chair, remember) with a bunch of strangers anyway?

Not to beat a dead horse, but:

1. The 1 (ONE) hotel room "policy" shared by 4 mixed gender crewmembers has been in place for at least 4 months. It certainly pre-dated the TV story by at least 2 months.

2. The 1 (ONE) hotel room policy was driven by legal issues, not company concern for properly rested crews. Issues like:
  • Continuous use APU noise complaints in smaller airports (ex: MRY)
  • Unattended crews in a secure ramp area w/o proper SIDA badges (everywhere)
  • The hotel room is really a "crew room" away from the airport
3. The 1 (ONE) crew room acts as a subtle pressure to not call fatigued. ("didn't you get a hotel room?")

News story didn't change squat. All (!) crews are still sleeping on the airplane, because nobody wants to share a hotel room with 3 strangers, and you get more rest sleeping on the plane anyway (at least 1.5 hrs more).

And really, with one bed, one desk chair, and one (sometimes) comfy chair, who wants to go play "musical chairs" (last one doesn't get a chair, remember) with a bunch of strangers anyway?

Don't bother with facts on this site. Nobody wants to hear it. I've just started telling people that we never get our own room on an overnight, no matter how long it is.

Standups

You know, somebody earlier in this thread posted what this should all be about anyway- Standups are bad. They're unsafe, ill-advised scheduling practices and I can only assume their sole purpose is to save the airlines some money from not overnighting 2 crews.
I wish the unions themselves (ALPA, wheovever, I don't care) would create more of an uproar about this. In our era of "schedule with safety", as the ALPA stickers say, why isn't there a fight so simply do away with them completely?
The companies won't do it until the FAA weighs in, so I guess all we can do is write our elected representatives and hope that this article about people sleeping in planes overnight grabs enough attention to do some good.
I've had some misadventures in the wake of 3 hours of sleep, including damaging my car in the employee lot because I wasn't coherent enough to see the sand-filled parking barrel by my car- I just hope we don't have to wait until something horrible happens before there's a public outcry, but that's probably what it will take.

I don't understand where this CDOs are unsafe stuff comes from. Ever hear of UPS and FedEx? Their duty day is just about the same as a typical CDO. Flying the backside of the clock isn't unsafe as long as sufficient work-rules are in place.

I don't understand where this CDOs are unsafe stuff comes from. Ever hear of UPS and FedEx? Their duty day is just about the same as a typical CDO. Flying the backside of the clock isn't unsafe as long as sufficient work-rules are in place.

I'm not talking about night freight- that's a way of life and your schedule stays (roughly) the same. You fly at night and sleep during the day, like a 3rd shift employee.
I'm talking about you getting 3 hours of sleep overnight. But you can't magically will yourself to sleep before that in order to be properly rested- you probably woke up at 8 am or something like that. So, instead of getting a proper nights' rest, you get less than half that, then go fly an expensive plane with strangers entrusting you with their lives. That's why standups are bad.

Latest resources

Back