• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

mesa...lets go for a ride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's the real story about MESA? Their CLT base is very appealing and they are union.

PM if you like...It's very difficult to get the real story on here.

-

MMO on the CRJ is .85. If you fly faster it beeps at you. The CRJ is not a Learjet.

I've never flown the CRJ but every jet has buffet boundary charts which give you the low and high speed buffet boundary for weight, flight level, and g loading.

I would believe that the CRJ has a relatively large margin between high and low speed buffet at it max certified flight level (FL410, I believe) and weight, most transport category aircraft do. However, that doesn't mean you can go to .85 in all flight conditions. Anyone that flies a jet needs to pull out the AFM and take a look at these charts to get an idea what the general limits are, otherwise you're putting lives in danger.

Believe me, this is a real threat. We had a crew on the CE560XL with your mentality (beeper goes off at .75) and they were introduced to mach stall when they hit a little turbulence. Luckily no one was hurt.

BTW...every avionics suite that i've flown fails to accurately correct for high speed buffet boundary limits, so I wouldn't trust your beeper!

I was always told that if I kept the little speed pointer thing from getting into the red part then I'd always be fine.

Are you saying I got some bum advice?

WTF?

You know what guys: I can't do it anymore. I'm wasting way to much time defending my position that Mesa is in a different league than the majority of other airlines. I can't spend anymore time thinking about Mesa. If you disagree, that's fine. My views about them are based on years of experience and run-ins with Mesa. I hope those of you praising Mesa won't begin praising other airlines like Go--JETS. It seems that after a few years has gone by, those that havn't been around very long don't understand the history of these bottom feeders and justify them. My advice: Don't suggest that Mesa is a good airline. If you do some research, you'll see my point. If you disagree with me, that's on you.
This is my last post on this topic.

Due continue and let all that anger come out. Seems that you have been holding on to too much anger for many many years. You seem to be represed. Let it out in a constructive way but when you let it out really express it. Don't take it back with you it will only hurt you physically, emotionally. It doesn't hurt anyone else. So go ahead let that anger come out hit a pillow scream shake uncontrollably. Be one with the anger and my friend it will disapear but you have to be conscious about it. Right now you don't even now what you are angry about. The source of the anger is in you but beacause you are living unconsciously you projected outwardly trying to get rid of it but it is not going to work. So be with yourself sit quietly and find out why are you really angry. Then express it release it and celebrete with life.

I think it safe to say that McNugget, Instructordude, browntothebone, and legacydriver all hang out together! And they obviously have nothing better to do than hangout in the regional boards. What a shame they can't use their time to better their own companies positon with respect to their own careers. I've never meet a successful person who has spent so much time putting another person down.

Flew mesa jumpseat recently...wow do they not know about aero or the coffin corner over there. Too high too fast and did not even know it. And what does the saying lets go for a ride mean in a mesa cockpit.

If you've got an issue in the jumpseat then say something to the crew moron....last time I checked a jumpseater is an additional crew member (Must have licenses, medical and no drinking 8 hours prior).

I was always told that if I kept the little speed pointer thing from getting into the red part then I'd always be fine.

Are you saying I got some bum advice?

WTF?

Yep! That's very bum advice on most aircraft.

95% of flights you can go to the barber pole. It becomes critical when you are heavy, you're filed for FL350 and you decide to climb over weather to FL390. You may be speed limited at FL390 or have too little a coffin corner to go to that FL in the first place.

Next time you're flying, whip out the AFM, and pull apart the pages that were stuck together with coffee, and you'll find buffet boundary charts. They come in all different shapes and sizes, including spaghetti, table, and envelope.

Your aircraft might not have any problem with high speed buffet at high weights and FLs, but the only way to find out is to look at the AFM. Because you don't want to be a test pilot with 50 souls in the back when the shock decides to move drastically because you got a little jolt of turbulence while riding the barber pole.

Hate to break this to you, but almost every jet operates in the transonic flight regime and has shock waves generating on top on the wing at normal cruise speeds. That's why some jets have vortex generators. I believe the EMB135/145 has them mid chord in front of the ailerons. This creates a high energy vortex to punch through the lambda foot, reenergizing air behind the shockwave so your controls remain effective in transonic flight. VGs mounted mid-chord are not for low speed flight.

But of course you wouldn't know this...the SR71 doesn't spend much time in the transonic flight.;)

Last edited:
Coffin corner is an issue in RJ's? Coffin corner is where stall speed and Mmo are the same speed. The U2 is the only plane i'm aware of that runs into this issue

No, the only time I have even seen the low and high speed cues at the same time is when one of the ADC's was acting up and it was readily apparent as one side didn't hve the low speed cue depicted and the other side did.

Didn't a 727 have an encounter with this that almost lead to the loss of the aircraft? Seems like they plummeted a long way before recovery. I'll have to look in the books-I think it was a football charter. I don't blame the original poster for talking about it-safety is something we should always feel free to discuss.

edit-nevermind-that was an instrument error accident.

Yes, there was a 727 flight back in the 70's that had a very horrifying meeting with 'coffin corner' they continued to shot downwards when the crew lowered the gear and got the plane horizontal again. We're probably discussing the same flight.

well maybe that's right brokedash-I couldn't find the one I was looking for, but the encounter you are talking about sounds like what I was thinking of.

Latest resources

Back