Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

walkthasky

SWA FO
Can anyone give me some info. on Mesa Air Group. I visited there website and im having trouble finding their crew bases, and aircraft, and anything else you can tell me. How are things there currently?? Are they hiring??

Thanks much!
matt:D

Check out http://www.mesaalpa.org. They have a link to current domiciles. Friend of mine gave me the site when I was looking at them a few mos. ago. Don't know too much on how things are there right now, but I think they still have some pilots furloughed but don't quote me on that. Hope it helps!

mesa

Mesa has 317 pilots on furlough----not hiring right now
Bases in Phoenix, Columbus under Amerca West Express
Numerous bases back east
Fly 1900's, Dash-8, crjs and erjs

This is a reply about Mesa from Dondk on a post a month a go,

317 on furlough, slowly starting up ERJ classes for those waiting for class dates (not furloughed, nor new hires). Jet bases are PHX, CLT, DCA, BHM and possibly PIT. DHC Bases are GJT and PHX. 1900 Bases are around 40 or so like PHL, ITH, GON, RDG, PIT, DJU, CKB, PKB, SHD, LIT, APF, TPA, PFN, PBI, EYW, MSY, PHX, ROW, HOB, MCI, ICT, MBS, ABQ, FHU, and some 10 or so more. Some bases have closed, and I may of listed 1-2 of them.

When they WERE hiring 1000 and 100 could get an interview, aircraft was depending on need, if you were close to 1500 and 300 they would "suggest" 1900 as upgrade was based on time and not senority (3 months was possibly). ERJ was the next they placed followed by DHC then a rare CRJ.

Pay is $19.15 in the 1900, Jets and DHC was 21 and change.

Reserve depended on equipment, 1900 was maybe a month, DHC was 3-4 months and the RJ's depended on base as well but 3-6 was normal.

Contract expires this year, company is both good and bad depending on who you talk to... Work rules could be alot better as well as the $1.00 per diem... Considering that about 1 year ago Mesa was one of the lowest paid regionals, now they are simply industry average.

They have a ton of jet's on order, but code share with two of the weakest companies (Airways and America West), as well as some stronger companies like Midwest Express and now Frontier as well as thier own colors (Mesa). They own Air Midwest (1900's) and CCAir (no flowthrough (dash 8's) though) and some maintenence companies as well.

A fairly junior company as most of the 1300 pilots (60%) were less than 2 years with the company.

Hope that helps...

My crystal ball recommends you don't hold your breath for Mesa. I'm guessing a matter of months.

Word is (as I understand it, maybe an actual MESA pilot can verify) that they are having some contract problems. Apparently, they have a bunch of RJ's that they can't fly. (I'm still trying to figure it out myself.)

Meanwhile, they are trying to downsize the B1900 operations as it isn't profitable enough.

Sounds like a big cluster-#$&% to me...Things seem to be going OK other than that. Stock is at $9 and change (Top was $15+ and dropped to less than $3 after Sept 11)

If AWA can get their act together, that will help too.

Cheers,
D

here it is.... read the comments on the "Mesa CRJ700&CRJ900? " thread

"Right now it looks like Freedom Air is going to get these because of the scope limit at Usairways which says that no carrier that operates under U can fly a greater than 50 seat jet AYWHERE. That means that even though Mesa would fly them under america West colors they can't fly them on the Mesa certificate. The union also wants seperate types and pay scales for the a/c while America West wants a common type and pay scale. First delivery is in a couple of months so training needs to be started. Just part of the whole mess at Mesa Air Group right now." -Jetscream32

Cheers,
D

On the other side of things, US Airways MGT and their MEC are going to be talking this week about RJ's and other things. If they are able to work things out then there is a chance Mesa could add hundreds of new jets in the near future. There is talk that the furloughed US pilots would have to fly them for the first two years. That would not help your cause in the near future but maybe down the road.

It is true that Mesa has been downsizing the 1900's. They are trying to bid more of the new gov. subsidized flying and if successful, that may stop the downsizing and allow for recalls sooner. (Mesa is still growing, they took delivery of 4 erj's in the last two weeks and have secured financing for 20 crj 700/900's. I think hiring will happen sooner then many think. That's just me though.
-Beantown

They have to bring back 317 pilots before start hiring and we will see!! More than 6mos.
Could you Imagine how long it will take to re-train to currency 317 pilots!!
Look elsewhere!

fly safe

Latest resources

Back