• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Quack

Reg Dunlop
By Ted Reed
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter

11/21/2006 2:23 PM EST
Click here for more stories by Ted Reed

if(rsistring == null) var rsistring = "";document.write('');if (document.cookie.indexOf("ad_cookie") == -1) {document.write('');} else {var cookieKval = readCookie('ad_cookie');document.write('');}
Mesa Air Group (MESA - commentary - Cramer's Take - Rating) said earnings for the latest quarter dropped due to unexpected costs for engine overhauls and pilot training.

The Phoenix-based commuter carrier said it earned $4.8 million, or 12 cents per share, in the quarter ended Sept. 30. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial had expected per-share earnings of 23 cents.
Year-earlier net income was $15 million, or 36 cents per share. Revenue was $362.5 million, up 17.3%, primarily from increased fuel-cost reimbursements.
"Out of our whole history, there have been only a couple of quarters we have missed [earnings estimates] ," said CEO Jonathan Ornstein on a conference call. "This has certainly been our biggest miss."
Unexpected one-time costs included $7.8 million for engine overhauls and $2.5 million for pilot training costs related to a contract with Delta Air Lines (DALRQ - commentary - Cramer's Take).
Mesa sought to provide Dash 8 aircraft to serve Delta's Kennedy hub, but encountered delays in ensuring that flight data recorders on the planes, moved from Canada, complied with U.S. regulations. "When you have 100 pilots trained and no aircraft for them, it becomes a very expensive proposition," Ornstein said.
The company also derived lower-than-expected revenue from its go! operation in Hawaii as competing carriers added capacity. Mesa provides about 8% of the capacity in its inter-island markets and carries about 10% of the traffic.
Additionally, Ornstein said negotiations with two Chinese carriers regarding Mesa flying in China are proceeding rapidly, and that flights could begin next year. During the quarter, Mesa's revenue per available seat mile was 15.4 cents, up 20%, while cost per available seat mile, excluding fuel, was 9.2 cents, an 18% increase.

Mesa's next grand adventure!!

Could this be the next attempt by Whorestein to try and force the mesa pilots into another crap contract? Maybe he is going to threaten to send planes to China if you dont agree. i hope not but with that guy who knows?

So how senior do you think Guanzhou CRJ capt will go?

I love Mesa and I love my CRJ 900 and will go to China if orstein gets a contract there cause i want my company to survive. You all have to understand you guys are nothing but bus drivers.

TRANSLATION:

Our earnings projections missed their targets big-time, nobody will give us new business even though we're cheap (wonder why?) and we're in danger of losing what we have, our pilots are pissed and their contract is up, Go! is bleeding us dry, but . . . ..

I have a "super secret plan" , Codenamed "China" that will save us all!

(Now please buy more stock to pump up the price so I can dump my many, many options and move onto my next airline CEO job.)

Last edited:
After he gets fired by US, UA, and DL and becomes persona non grata in the US airline industry, JO will have to do SOMETHING with the 200 airplanes...

But I can't think of ANY nation, especially ones with totalitarian governments, that will want to allow a hord of foreign pilots (all moonlighting for the CIA) into their country to conduct domestic operations. If this happens JO will have to train chinese crews and it will be "So Solly" for the mesa pilots...

the end is nearer than you think. JO wanted to play at the big boys table and he doesn't bluff well enough. so sorry for the crews, but remember you chose to work there. you had choices

Chinese/English Translations for Mesa Pilots

名 地点 的第三人称单数;直叙法;现在式 我的 形 紫红色的;帝王的;美丽辞句的 名 防风上衣的一种 Where is my purple windbreaker?

名 地点 的第三人称单数;直叙法;现在式 我的 名 夹板;合板 Where is my plywood?

名 我 形 独一的;无比的.仅仅;只有.但是 动 获得;患;受;准备;打;撞;使..做.. 8 副 每天;[经常]在白天 动 离开;距离;向那边;出发;隔断;中断 I only get 8 days off! :eek:

准备;打;撞;使..做.. 副 每天;[经常]在 天 动 离开;距离;向那边;辞句 称单数;直叙法;现在式 我的 形 紫红色的;帝王 I can't even afford noodles in China on first year pay. :(

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back