Mesa gone from U?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"maybe they are hoping to replace them with Freedom.."

A year ago, I would have laughed about that, but not any longer..................

ALPA Sues Mesa Air Group, Seeks Court Order for Good Faith Bargaining
PHOENIX, July 19 /PRNewswire/ -- The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), filed suit on July 17 in the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona against Mesa Airlines, Mesa Air Group, and Jonathan Ornstein, the CEO of Mesa Airlines and Mesa Air Group.

In the suit, ALPA asks the Court to compel the Mesa defendants to bargain in good faith as outlined by the Railway Labor Act (RLA), and cease all efforts to undermine the organizational rights of Mesa Airlines pilots. It also requests that the Court enjoin the Mesa defendants from operating Freedom Airlines, a non-union start-up carrier, which they have threatened to use to divert work from the Mesa Airlines pilots.

"The lack of good faith bargaining at Mesa and the continued use of whipsaw tactics between pilots within the Mesa Air Group system are indicative of Mesa Air Group's lack of interest in securing a labor agreement that meets the needs of the carrier's pilots," said ALPA President Duane Woerth.

This week's filing cites Mesa Airline's continued tactics to stall contract negotiations, as well as the Mesa defendants' efforts to secure certification for Freedom Airlines, and their use of intimidation and threats related to the transfer of work opportunities to the start-up airline, as a means of dictating pilot pay and working conditions. In a recent letter to Ornstein, Woerth stated, "You have made no secret that you are attempting to use Freedom to avoid ALPA pay rates and its bargaining goals in the present bargaining process with Mesa pilots."

Pilot contract negotiations are presently in mediation under the auspices of the National Mediation Board (NMB). In a recent victory for ALPA, the NMB announced on July 2, 2002, that Mesa Air Group's subsidiaries (Mesa Airlines, Inc., Air Midwest, Inc. and CCAir, Inc.) constitute a single transportation system, acknowledging what ALPA has alleged for some time -- that all labor relations for these wholly-owned subsidiaries of Mesa Air Group are managed and coordinated by Ornstein and Mesa Air Group.

The Air Line Pilots Association, International, represents 66,000 pilots at 43 airlines in the United States and Canada. Visit the ALPA Web site at http://www.alpa.org.

Was that for us ?

"In a recent victory for ALPA, the NMB announced on July 2, 2002, that Mesa Air Group's subsidiaries (Mesa Airlines, Inc., Air Midwest, Inc. and CCAir, Inc.) constitute a single transportation system, acknowledging what ALPA has alleged for some time -- that all labor relations for these wholly-owned subsidiaries of Mesa Air Group are managed and coordinated by Ornstein and Mesa Air Group."

A little rewording and you get:

"In a recent victory for ALPA, the NMB announced on July 2, 2002, that US Airways Group's subsidiaries (Piedmont Airlines, Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc. and Allegheny Airlines, Inc.) constitute a single transportation system, acknowledging what ALPA has alleged for some time -- that all labor relations for these wholly-owned subsidiaries of US Airways Group are managed and coordinated by David Siegel and US Airways Group."

You could also insert Comair/ASA and Delta.

Right on Canadflyau

I can see it now. Mesa dropped as codeshare is a win win situation because Freedom can sign onto J4J while JO gets the necessary leverage to stick it to the Mesa guys during their negotiations a la CCAir. Then the surplus of jets that no longer fly those routes can be transferred to any number of other operating certificates, including Freedom, where they're operated even cheaper. The possiblities with this one could be pretty bad all the way around. God, I hope I'm wrong.

Aceshigh

Wrong-wrong Aces,

If memory serves me correct, J4Js only applies to ALPA carriers. Freedom ain't gonna cut it.

Fit is hitting the Shan!!

Vref, I hate to say it but I believe you're wrong. Chautauqua already voted down J4J and they are IBT not ALPA. Skywest was also approached about J4J, and they're non-union. Furthermore, I think, but am not sure that Colgan has been approached about J4J. Maybe, some Colgan folk could comment on that. Also, if MidAtlantic still happens, are they automatically ALPA or do they have to go through the normal motions of bringing a union on property? As for Freedom cutting it, if management can find a way, I think they will. I don't think I wanna be around when this fit hits the shan.

Aceshigh

sad but true

Aces, your facts about J4J are true.

MDA is only allowed to get cranking if it is ALPA from day 1. MDA will be the highest paid regional in the business... probably gonna have to keep 80%load factor to be profitable.

Colgan has been approached on many occasions about J4J. Management is ready to jump on it if/when US Airways gives them the green light.

Many of the pilots, me included, do not want it. We however, have no say.

Hey Chperplt,

Isn't Colgan owned by a Virginia Senator? Being that U is a Virginia based company, I could the politicking, bootlicking, and kickbacking getting really wild on this whole deal, especially if Colgan were to sign on. The partners in this orgy just keep gettng better.

Aceshigh

Latest resources

Back