Mesa gone from U?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

I pulled this off of the ALG pilots' email loop, posted by a reliable source but he wasn't sure:

"Just heard something from a friend at PSA. Supposedly U told MESA
that they will be terminating their contract with them. Steve Toothe
is trying to verify it now. Could just be one of those wild rumors.
Who knows."

Hang on Boyz its changin by the minute, and we thought Dave and Johnny O were pals.

I thought Dave Siegle and Jonathan Ornstein were pretty good buddies. This doesn't make sense, especially when Mesa owns more stock in US Airways than anyone else. If it is true I don't blame Airways for dropping Mesa, they are a poorly run company that barely gets the job done. I know several people that book flights with US Airways that specifically ask not to fly on ERJ's flown by Mesa just due to the high cancellation rates whether it's due to maintenance or no crews available.

This might be a good thing.

US Air making noise about this would probably be a good thing. Actually doing it on the other hand would probably be very bad for US Air itself and that certainly isn't something they need right now.

The reason it might be a good thing is that it might make that egomaniac Johnny O start behaving like an actual business man and not a spoiled three year old. The management at Mesa is absolutely terrible from the head down to the toes and they are rapidly driving what could be one of the strongest airlines in the industry right into the ground.

Johnny O might be a champion corporate raider, but his temper tantrums, poor decisions and running managment as his own cult of personality must rank him at the bottom of the barrel as far as actually managing a company goes. If the stockholders had any sense and if they have the ability (I don't know if Johnny O personally owns too much Mesa stock to allow it) they would put him out on the street and hire someone who knows how to run a profitable airline in the model of Southwest.

What is also interesting was Johnny Os little 3 year stint out of the country. Some of his stock dealings havent always been on the "up and up" apparently

Does anybody actually think about this stuff before posting it ? I know of one former mainline station with 26 departures a day-13 of them Mesa/Air Midwest.Does anybody really believe Airways can lose this feed ? And replace it with what ? Dust off some of CC's Jetstreams ? How many times a day do you hear "Air shuttle 57XX.." ?

Does anybody actually think about this stuff before posting it ? I know of one former mainline station with 26 departures a day-13 of them Mesa/Air Midwest.Does anybody really believe Airways can lose this feed ? And replace it with what ? Dust off some of CC's Jetstreams ? How many times a day do you hear "Air shuttle 57XX.." ?

Well, quite of few of Air Midwest routes in the east have been given to other carriers over the past few months. With the signing of Midway to the Express family it is quite possible that Mesa would get the boot.

In case you missed it..

http://www.usair.com/about/press/nw_02_0718b.htm

Last edited:
Nope,didn't miss a thing-call 1-800-US-DAILY.Mesa operates how many RJ's for Airways-35 ?
Such capacity is not easily nor quickly replaced.Consider these facts:
1.Airways announced yesterday that losses for last quarter are up 1,000 % (!) over the same period last year.
2.The Midway deal is contigent on funding a few million for it.
3.U is in legal default-a Ch.11 filing either voluntary or involuntary wipes out an ATSB loan.
4.Air Midwest has been given almost all of CCAir's former routes.

"With the signing of Midway to the Express family it is quite logical that Mesa would get the boot"

Ehh.....Logical??......
U is looking to EXPAND rj operation not to reduce, if you have not noticed that earlier........

Mesa looses money with some of the Air Midwest flying, Mesa is trying to shift that flying into profitable ones. ( EAS routes etc.)

Last edited:
Mesa looses money with some of the Air Midwest flying, Mesa is trying to shift that flying into profitable ones. ( EAS routes etc.)

If that's the case, why has Air Midwest pulled out of some EAS routes on the east coast?

Maybe the Mesa RJ cancellation rate is getting a little too high for US Airways, and with other jet operators coming on line, those routes can fly more economically elsewhere.

I do not know if the EAS routes that you are talking about ( on the east coast ) were profitable or not, or if some other company outbid Mesa.
I do know that ex last week Mesa was awarded several EAS routes.
Neither am I sure about Mesas cancellation % specially compared with other express carriers. Maybe you or someone else can give me some hard #?

Thanks in advance.

Latest resources

Back