Mesa flys for United again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Beantown said:
Learlove,Captainx, Metrosheriff and Vrefus, what up guys/gals.
I may have been a bit generous when I said "top tier", but I think the pilots a Mesa are more determined then ever and will strike if that is what it takes (even though we all know that is suicide for a non-wholleyowned regional. I just don't think they will accept much less. (BTW I am NOT a Mesa pilot)

-Bean

Unfortunately I think that is what Jonny O may be hanging his hat. His M.O. ala Freedon Air, is plain to see. I'll bet he is confidant that given the current job market (just a smidge of the supply-heavy side) that he could let them strike and with no trouble bust the union with scabs, who would come in and fly for what would make the Mesa pilots look overpaid.

I am not saying that Jonny O is not a corporate genius in a lot of ways. Objectively, I think it would be fair to say that, thus far, he is good at what he does.

However, from my perspective as airline labor, I believe he just may be the anti-Christ.

JMHO.

Jonny O. v. Larry R. v. Frank L.

Different names, but same basic MOs. Bar or banish unions from the property, subjugate wages and employees, and maintain poor working conditions.

I worked at Mesa's school briefly nine years ago during the Risley administration. Poor working conditions. At least one time, questionable aircraft maintenance; the incident I recall they had put a Bonanza on the line with inop flaps. We were told to fly the airplane. I refused. I was also amazed by that because Mr. Risley had a maintenance background. Oppressive employee treatment. I was told one thing about going to work for the airline during my interview. When I reported in, they did a 180 on what they told me.

I know things improved somewhat after ALPA came on the property. But, as the old adage goes, the more things change the more they stay the same.

PS-By the way, wasn't Mesa kicked from United code-sharing some years ago? Sure would be rich if that came full circle.

MetroSheriff, You are right the JO would stoop low enough to use scabs, most likely new grads of the Mesa San Juan program, but remember that Freedom Air has yet to receive FAA certification. If I am not mistaken the first CRJ 700 was supposed to be flying already yet to my knowledge isn't even on the MAG property. This may break some kind of contract with America West but I am not sure the details on that.

Jetscream32 said:
MetroSheriff, You are right the JO would stoop low enough to use scabs, most likely new grads of the Mesa San Juan program, but remember that Freedom Air has yet to receive FAA certification. If I am not mistaken the first CRJ 700 was supposed to be flying already yet to my knowledge isn't even on the MAG property. This may break some kind of contract with America West but I am not sure the details on that.

Good point. However, his union busting tactics don't have to come to fruition for us to get a good idea of what he is about and how he feels about union labor. The fact that he is trying to get that dung pile flying is bad enough. Not to mention his virtuoso whipsaw performance of the the U feeders (regionals).

The Mesa pilots need to be very wary of this scoundrel. I would be shocked if their new contract amounts to much given the leverage he has in these troubled times, not to mention his apparent anxiousness to use it.

JO Rides again...

Look folks, Mesa is in Section 6 contract negotiations to fix a weak 1st contract. Mesa has been accused of taking concessions in the past to get jets, but GAVE UP NOTHING to get them. ZIP, NADA NOTHING!! (WO's are you listening?) Chalk it up to a weak 1st contract. ALPA is supporting Mesa in their attempt to beat Ornstien at his game and the whole industry should be watching CLOSE! He hates unions and beat concessions out of CCAir under threat of liquidation, then promised the majority of US RJ's in the next few years under ridiculously puny wages (Up to 90 seat wages for 50 seat pay) Now J.O. is the largest USAir (and almost bought HP last summer) stock holder and is soulmates with Siegal as they were both working for CoEx. Freedumb Air is to specifically get around ALPA to fly 70/90 seat CRJ's for AmWest in PHX. He didn't like Mesa's MC pay rates a startd a newairline, just to subvert ALPA! The pay JO offered? 12% over current substandard 50 seat Mesa rates! The fur is gonna fly because the VAST majority of Mesa pilots are pi$$ed at JO's union busting and a strike is probably immentent, after this weeks medition gets under way. Help in the fight or be next, the JO's of the industry are gonna be popping up like cockroaches trying to create the next low cost provider after Mesa gets a better contract. Fight it now or fight it later....Good luck...

Latest resources

Back