Mesa Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KnightwhosaysNi

Is it possible (or easy) to change domiciles at Mesa? Also, how long are equipment freezes once you bid or are assigned an aircraft? Just curious Thanks

I'll take a stab at your questions...

Under the new contract, movement between equipment is a bit more difficult now than it used to be. Beech and Dash F/O's can only bid upward into captain positions in their equipment, or into jet captain positions (they cannot go from prop F/O to jet F/O). Prop captains can only bid into jet captain positions.

Prop F/O's who have upgraded to prop captains are locked in for 18 months. Those who have completed jet captain training are locked into those positions for 36 months.

As for domicile movement, I think there is quite a bit of movement between prop domiciles, with many Air Midwest Beech pilots making the move up into the Mesa jets, due to the new United deal. I'm not sure how much movement there is between jet domiciles, but there has already been some reshuffling (and likely will continue to be), with Philly reopening as a jet base, and Denver going fairly junior in the CRJ.

I have a buddy with a mesa class date. Just woundering what are the upgrade times on the different equipment? His choices are mesa RJs or Dash 8 or Air Midwest 1900. Whats the better deal for those in the know?

Thanks

:cool:

Mesa upgrades

With the new United deal, Mesa is looking to add around 55 jets to the fleet, beyond the original growth plans, so I would imagine there will be some good movement for a while.

Obviously, the quickest upgrades will be in the Beeches at AMW, with the lower seniority. However, there will probably be other opportunities if one is in another aircraft. As I posted above, the new contract does not allow a person to bid from a prop F/O position to a jet F/O position, nor does it allow a Beech F/O or Dash F/O to bid to the captain seat of the other turboprop, nor does it allow a jet F/O to bid to any prop position. This means that only Beech F/O's can fill Beech captain seats, and only Dash F/O's can fill Dash captain seats, which might help each upgrade a bit quicker.

Another consideration is that the 18-month seat lock for new Beech and Dash captains will allow more junior jet F/O's to get the jump on upgrading to jet captain ahead of prop folk.

These are just some rambling thoughts. Actually, it's all pretty convoluted, and people I've spoken with at Mesa aren't even sure how it will all play out. Whatever equipment your buddy starts in, it's a good time to get into Mesa, as it's now entering a cycle of real movement in all equipment types.

Mesa pilots--How are the trips in the 1900? Are there overnights or is it mostly out and backs? How about the jet? 2, 3, 4 day trips or what? Also, do any fleets have high speed or standup lines? Thanks for any info. Also B1900 pilots--How do you like flying the 1900?

Last edited:
Can anyone answer the above question for the dash? How much chance does a new hire have to get phx in the Dash8?

Latest resources

Back