• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a reminder........Jet Blue is not a major either but they are on this post also,and the way mesa is growing they will probably be a major as soon as Jet Blue maybe sooner.

Intruder One said:
Just a reminder........Jet Blue is not a major either but they are on this post also . . .

So a 'major' isn't any airline that flies jets that are 5 across in coach or better? :)

Intruder One said:
Just a reminder........Jet Blue is not a major either but they are on this post also,and the way mesa is growing they will probably be a major as soon as Jet Blue maybe sooner.

I made that mistake before also. But, if you will notice there is a category for regionals, which is where posts for Mesa Airlines belong. There is no category for Jet Blue, which should be categorized as a national. Jet Blue definately fits the major boards better than it would in the regionals. Our current system of categorizing airlines needs an overhaul.

I didn't consult my crystal ball before I posted that this thread was in the wrong category. If I had, I would not have bothered and KnightwhosaysNi would not have got his panties in a bunch. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is obvious Mesa is not a major. Nobody in there right mind needs to have that explained to them. I was just curious as to how many times I needed to say that this was under the majors by mistake. One has to scroll up a bit and see we are beating a dead horse with this talk. Thanks to all with the good info-I appreciate it.

Just one more note on this major thing.........when you reach 1 billion in sales you are a major.Size of A/C or any other factor does not matter.Not that I'm defending Mesa or anyone one else
but when you get those numbers you are a major.....period.

Intruder One said:
Just one more note on this major thing.........when you reach 1 billion in sales you are a major.Size of A/C or any other factor does not matter.Not that I'm defending Mesa or anyone one else
but when you get those numbers you are a major.....period.

That milestone for airlines was created a long time ago and like many things in aviation they rarely, if ever, get revised. No offense to anyone who works for a regional, but that is why the current system of categorizing airlines is in need of an overhaul.

O.k., GuppieDriver, since you don't like the $1B mark as a legitimate gauge to identify 'majors', how would you delineate it?

Hate to bring this thread back to the top, but you asked.

From the ALPA website:

Carrier Groupings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major Large Jet Carriers: Airlines with Revenue > $ 1 Billion and aircraft with over 100 seats

National Carriers: Airlines with Revenue < $ 1 Billion and aircraft with over 100 seats; may also includes charter service carriers

Express Carriers: Airlines that provide feed for Major and/or National Carrier; aircraft under 100 seats

Canadian Carriers: Canadian Carriers that meet National, Express or Cargo carrier criteria

Cargo Carriers: provide cargo airlift; includes carriers that may also provide charter services in addition to cargo airlift

It is surprising that a mainline dominated union would classify anyone who flies aircraft of less than 100 seats as "Express". :)

Be careful what you wish for. The CRJ-1000 could be right around the corner, not to mention a 'regional' getting the EMB-190. (not that this would be a good thing)

Latest resources

Back