• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

mesa call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I could get every weekend off, every holiday off, and be home every night by 6:00pm as a pilot, I wouldn't be considering quiting right now.

Truth is, flying for a living is.....a living. In some ways, it takes the wonder out of it. In other ways, it is the easiest most stress-free job on earth. All in all though, I'd say being on the verge of unemployment every 5 years is stress enough for anybody.

My advice: Find something you like doing, something relatively fun and perhaps even useful to society, and try to make enough money to fly as a hobby. I think you'll find it to be much more rewarding in the end.

Fly safe

Av8ter said:
I know it sounds like a no brainer, but I've never flown a jet before and I would like to experience it at least once in my life.

Mortgaging, I can still do in my off time.

Anyways, still pondering....

Av8ter

This is exactly why this industry is going down the crapper!! People willing to work for next to nothing, just to fly a jet. Give me a fricken break.

Av8ter said:
I know it sounds like a no brainer, but I've never flown a jet before and I would like to experience it at least once in my life.

In that case rent yourself a jet with an instructor and go fly it.

Thank you all for your words of advice and wisdom.

As some of you probably know, I spent all of 2002 applying, interviewing, studying, etc... trying to get this freaking job.

In Jan of this year, I became a mortgage broker. This job has enormous potential to make alot of $$ because of the low rates and all. My wife is very happy having me home every night, and since most of my clients are senior airline pilots, I know where this industry has gone.

Picture yourself having worked 20 to 30 years flying the airlines largest plane, and then at retirement, you realize you can't afford your mortgage payment and your house is not paid off yet. That is the reality of a few of my refi's.

This has been my kicker, I'm not going to go to the interview.

Post 9/11 this business has been going down the can. I wanted to impress my family and friends by wearing the fancy uniform, and fly the cool jet. But you know what, nobody cares. And I would be doing this for all the wrong reasons. It's too risky.

So I'll let someone else have the shot and have a good time flying.

See ya, and keep the blue side up.

Av8ter

Congratulations AV8ter....

I know I am not just speaking for myself here, but we're d@mn proud of you! Good luck in your future endeavors!

Tailwinds-
Pappy

Good luck, and don't stop flying just b/c you're not building the resume.

See ya' in the sky, my man.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back