mesa call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Av8ter said:
Mortgaging, I can still do in my off time.

Anyways, still pondering....

Av8ter

Off time at Mesa??? Yea... all 8 days off a month will leave you plenty o' time! Just say no to crack!

Buddy,

It is really time for a reality check here, yeah I miss flying the big plane, but you know what your about about to enter a world where:

1. Weekends off are a thing of the past

2. Holidays off are gone

3. If you were at your firm for awhile they were probably pretty agreeable to giving you time off when you wanted.....

4. Where I worked you had to bid for your days off, and know what? When your junior you get last choice.......

5. Do you like not being able to make plans more than a month in advance? If you don't care about making family reunions, weddings, special occasions, favorite sporting events, anniversaries, etc.

oops wasn't done

6. Not to mention going to the dentist, did you ever try making a dental apt. with less than a 3 weeks notice? In this bussiness when your new your getting 8 days guaranteed at your "future" employer and your schedule changes monthly, how do u figure you'll do that?

7. Then the kicker.........if mesa ever starts to go south and if things change in the industry ( that never happens does it?) your out on your keester.

My advice.........

IF your making alot of cash buy a soviet surplus jet, or go into a partnership on one if that is what you really want ........ or go pay somebody who owns one to go up and fly it for an hour, i've heard of people doing that..........

Or go get a new rating; seaplane, glider,etc. taildragger, go learn to fly acro in a pitts or something.

I guess its redudant for me to say after everything else i've already written that IMO, you should stay put unless you are miserable in your current job and it doesn't sound like that is the case.......

Best of luck!

Av8tr,

listen to FMR regional, hey i ran into a former CC air buddy of mine in Boston who was typed in the RJ. he was senior. When I saw him, we smiled and remembered the good ol days in charlotte and the great commoraderie we had.

I asked him, "how's mesa and the jet?" ( he had 10 years at CC and was a check airman)

his reply was, " it's just a stinkin job now"

The industry has permanently changed, forever , just like the 2.7 million factory jobs lost in the last two years. those major jobs are never coming back. and what happens when jetblue and airtran get in a fair war? how low is low. The Bankruptsies,(notice I said plural) aren't over yet.

the deal is how is everybody announcing they're ordering a 100 new rjs when the demand isn't there and there are no new jobs and our country is running half trillion dollar deficits with numbnuts in the whitehouse.

Back to the question at hand (mention Mesa here and it always turns into a bash). If you don't have to give up brokering all together, why not give it a shot? You'll probably know after the interview if it's right for you. Personally, I had fun at Mesa. Not much money, but the groupies...oh yeah, that was the life!

floyd94,

don't normal working people have 8 days off a month?

Normal working people get to sleep in their own beds every night.
Hahahaha! I have been DECLARED NORMAL by a poster on this board. Thanks Lionflyer! :)

Av8ter, if your bio is up to date and you are flying 135 King Airs and Merlins, stay where you are. I assume you are flying out of your home and get to get home quite a bit. When you get into 121 flying, yes it may be a jet, but you will be based somewhere where you do not live, most likley PHL for MESA from what I have heared from Mesa FOS. You will have 8 days off, that SUCKS, I want to kill my self with 12 days off. Interview at MESA just do not let your desire to fly a jet make you make a poor choice. Quality of life is really the most imporant thing there is, in my mind.

Av8ter,

just remember, all the advice you are getting is likely from current 121 pilots. We could leave our jobs and go work at a brokerage firm (most of us have college degrees and some experience, so it would take 2-3 years to get the good career track going), but we don't.

I'm a big believer in actions speak lounder than words. I left a corporate career track at an investment bank to fly. That's me. I'm happy with my choice.

I'd advise you to go to the interview, and try to speak to as many of the pilots there as you can. Or, if you live in PHX, CLT, PHL, DEN or DCA, just go to the airport and find where the Mesa planes depart from. Ask one of the pilots where the crew room is, b/c you were just invited to interview and you'd like to talk to some of the guys working on-line for Mesa right now. If you hang around the crew room area, you're bound to run into a couple of them. Just ask them some questions.

Just my advice. If you're happy with the broker position, then don't leave. Go where you're happiest.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back