Merger affect on AirTran.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Max Powers

Will Delta divest a considerable amount of their flying allowing Airtran to come in and pick up some scraps?

Or will Delta's new merged synergies make them stronger; so much so they can weaken Airtran?

Any thoughts?

Will Delta divest a considerable amount of their flying allowing Airtran to come in and pick up some scraps?

Or will Delta's new merged synergies make them stronger; so much so they can weaken Airtran?

Any thoughts?

I can't imagine a company partaking in an acquisition that would make it weaker against the competition.

Delta will sell MidWest to Uncle Joe.

I would imagine Airtran would be lobbying the DOJ to required a Delta/NW or Delta/UA to be accompanied by the releasing of some slots in NY and DC area. It seems like anytime slots in LGA or DCA become available, Airtran is in the middle of the bidding (ie. like the former ATA slots we just picked up).

I can't imagine Delta giving up any gates in ATL (although the NW gates on D could come available for Airtran to pick up).

Pan Am....

I can't imagine a company partaking in an acquisition that would make it weaker against the competition.

Did buying those old Pan Am routes make DAL stronger? I think not..... Mergers are not always good either-these things are impossible to predict.

BTW-Dal's purchase of these routes durn near bankrupted Delta back in the mid 90's (and there was nowhere near the labor strife a Northwest mergrer could cause.)

A merger would reduce capacity in both Delta and the other carriers hubs and Airtran would benefit. For example in Atlanta if Northwest or United were to merge with Delta the justice dept would make them give up those 3-5 gates in Atlanta and Airtran would most likely get them and do more expansion.

This is of course just my opinion.

Last edited:
I was just joking about DL selling a NWA asset, anyway Joe has been seen at the Home Depot.
Did buying those old Pan Am routes make DAL stronger? I think not....
It can be debated whether Delta paid too much, but yes, the Pan Am deal did increase Delta's international operation, making the Company stronger.

Delta's Executives have repeated that they will merge only if it benefits Delta's growth. Delta has no plans to spend money to make anything shrink.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

HUH????? If Delta merged or bought NWA, why would they give up anything? No overlap between the two, and maybe a possible downsizing of MEM or CVG, both of which have very little O&D traffic. If DAL and NWA combine, then CAL and UAL are rumored to merge too. And don't forget what Southwest said about not being left behind in a merger frenzy. They may gobble up Airtran or go for Alaska. Nobody knows until someone actually makes the first move.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Did buying those old Pan Am routes make DAL stronger? I think not..... Mergers are not always good either-these things are impossible to predict.

BTW-Dal's purchase of these routes durn near bankrupted Delta back in the mid 90's (and there was nowhere near the labor strife a Northwest mergrer could cause.)

Ron Allen was the CEO back then and he overpaid for those routes when he bought them, although now they are worth gold. NWA has a great Asian presence with a large NRT hub. Also, I think most of the NWA employees would WISH FOR a new management team than their current one, and Delta would provide that. Most of the NWA employees want Steenland out.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back