• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Memphis/N. Miss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought about it for the above reasons. The wife said no though. I dragged her to enough sh*tholes in the military. Commuting is easy if you don't chase the money and upgrade at every opportunity. I haven't flown a line that I couldn't drive to in years. However, if you have a need to make as much $ as possible and don't want to be gone from home a lot, MEM is your only hope.

Good advise falconjet

I lived in Detroit for 6 years and after visiting the Memphis area (to include Collierville and Germantown), I decided to NOT move to Memphis -- MrCoffee, don't forget to check out the school systems -- Tenn and Miss are not known for their education system.

Happy to commute

Good luck

I don't remember who started this thread, but my .02: Stay far away. Like the guy said, unless you're moving from De-toilet, it's a MAAAAAAJJJJOOOOORRR downgrade.

I thought about moving to Mempho for about a nano-second. Then I got my brain back.

Yes, it will make your life easier, but at the cost of being in the most racially divided (brought about by the current political scumbags), ungodly hot, nothing to do, backwards sounding, no good restaurant, illiterate, SEC football loving, muddy truck driving, redneck, Yankee hating, no service giving, dump of a town I've ever seen. Most of Tennessee hates Memphis and considers it part of Arkansas.

It's just about a tad better than my crashpad in Detroit and there were bullets flying there!

Come to big Purple, we need the seniority. Do your family a favor and live somewhere else.

Any questions on where I stand? LOL

I have lived in Memphis most of my life and is by the far the worst city I have ever lived in. When I finally got hired and held a line I immediately moved out west. Yeah the commute sucks but I don't have to worry about my car being stolen (4 times in 20 years in memphis this happened to me) Being hassled at every gas station and quick mart for money. Yes the suburbs are ok but everything is catching up. I grew up in bartlett but even that area, particularly the older part is going downhill quick. In 20 years gtown may be the hood at the rate things happen in memphis. Also you can't totally avoid the city by living in the burbs. The first thing to do in memphis is get your carry permit before you even turn on the cable. There is less racism in a KKK meeting than there is in MEM. I had never heard "sir may I take your order" until I went up north. I was used to "wutch ju want?" and sitting for 8 minutes while the dumba$$ figured out how to count to 12. That kind of stuff is over the whole midsouth area and cant be avoided by simply moving to the burbs. County schools test scores are only 1.8 percent higher than city school scores. No wonder every private school in memphis has a waiting list. I feel I owe it to my family and my children to live somewhere that will allow them to play safely outside and receive a good education and not deal with the racial tension. So if I have to commute for the sake of my family I consider it a good cause. Every pilot has to make that decision but if you choose simply to ignore the dangers of memphis for your own selfishness then you have some screwed up priorities

Commute...

Instead of living an hour + outside of town, so that your family can be safe, why not commute from one of our closer ramps. When I was Memphis based, my commute flight was only 50 minutes ( + the 1 hour show). It does take a little extra time away from your family but it allows a lot more flexibility in where you can to live.

Flagshipper:

You got it brother! For all the right reasons. That is what it finally came down to for me: there was no way I was willing to put my family in that sort of environment. I'd rather commute than worry about my wife and kids at home waiting to be accosted. I'll be following you west shortly, from FL.

WM

That's what you think. You know you will be staying in S. Florida. I'll keep a cold beer in AK for ya! LOL!

Flagshipper:

You got it brother! For all the right reasons. That is what it finally came down to for me: there was no way I was willing to put my family in that sort of environment. I'd rather commute than worry about my wife and kids at home waiting to be accosted. I'll be following you west shortly, from FL.

WM

I used to live in Memphis

I lived in Memphis for 4.5 years. I spent 1 year in Bartlet and the rest in G'town. I got a wife and two little boys...

The best thing about Memphis is FedEx. Living there gives you lots of scheduling, upgrade and extra cash options, but at what cost? We had a nice house in G'town, but we always wanted to get out... it just took awhile to get financially ready for the big move. Most of the problems I saw with the greater Memphistan area are listed above. Add too, we really had a hard time coming up with things to do. We would hit the zoo and play in the yard, but when it came right down to it, we were board.

We up'ped and moved to an area outside of Fort Worth.

Differences we have enjoyed: First off, we are living on a lake. We can jump in the water at any moment vs. an hour drive to Sartis Lake. People here are friendly and curtious! Not the case in Mem. People use their blinkers and actually let you into traffic (total shock coming from Mem!)

I also have to use my Walmart story... I avoided Walmart in Memphis like the plague. It was painfull going in there no matter how you sliced it. Occasionally, there was something I needed that I could only get there so I would suck it up and head in. The employees there could give a rats ass if they helped you or not and they would actually work at not helping you. Then you could not understand what the heck they were saying - totally different language. Next comes the checkout... if there are two people in front of you, get ready to spend 30 minutes in line.

Now in rural TX, the only store nearby is Walmart. I reluctantly went in there shortly after the move and a guy approached me in an isle and asked if he could help me. I thought I was about to get robbed! He walked me clear accross the store to show me where something was. At checkout, I was waiting in line when a clerk a few isles away came out to the end to announce she had no waiting in here lane! People smile, speak English, help you out and are just down right pleasant! Not so in Memphis.

We have a lot of guys that live there. Many guys move there and many move away. It really boils down to are you and the family happy there? If so, great - your career with FedEx will be easy. If you are not happy there, move to a location with a somewhat easy commute (near a bigger airport and not in the corners of the country).

I am off my soapbox now.

Good luck in your decision to move.

Goose17

Last edited:
Bah

We live in the Southaven/Olive Branch area. The schools are good, housing is way more affordable, and there is plenty of stuff to do. Desoto county is exploding right now. And as previous guys have posted you can make way more money and have so much more time off than you can commuting. Albie is just jealous cuz he doesn't have any duck blinds in FL! My sponsor actually was living here and recently decided to move to OR to be closer to his kids, and now realizes how spoiled he was living here. Commuting is a pain no matter how you look at it plus the extra days off you miss just wasn't worth it for me. North MS is a very nice area and growing. I will take the state tax any day to stay away from Mayor Willy. Although, there is no state tax in TN the property taxes are triple what they are in MS. So either way they are going to get you. Hope that helps and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

Latest resources

Back