Memphis/N. Miss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
STFU Huck.

North Mississippi sucks. Stay away. Its awful. State income taxes, Mississippi Burning, racism, rednecks, 2 awful college football teams...

Go to Collierville or Germantown.

(Huck--if we wanna keep our duck blinds private I've GOT to get you to shut up!)

And while we're at it, the gulf coast blows too.....

I appreciate all the input, I guess I'm wondering if there is ANYone that really enjoys living there and are glad they moved there. The best I've heard from anyone is that it's not AS bad as people make it out to be. I'm just looking to make life easier on my wife and kids by being home a little more often. Every time we decide we are gonna make the move though, I hear so much negative discriptions of life in the Memphis area, kinda stops you dead in your tracks.

Where is that number for the realtor in Oxford? Hmmmm. Next thing Huck and Albie are going to tell you is how ugly Ole Miss girls are. But I digress.

Mr. Coffee: I moved to Collierville 4.5 years ago from Mobile, AL. I like Mobile, spent 9 of 20 years in the CG there. I am a southerner at heart (born in Canada however, CG brat).

I like Collierville, and my family LOVES Collierville. Yes, Memphis is a pit, we don't go there often. It is not really any different than any other large city in my opinion, I don't like any big city. I would love to live in Knoxville or somewhere outside of Nashville, but for now the family life here is way too good for us to consider moving.

Coming from Mobile (my adopted hometown) we upgraded in schools significantly, neighborhood, and community. We are very happy here and there are plenty of other places in the surrounding area that would be nice also, as mentioned by some of the other posters.

If you'd like any more specific info feel free to pm me (no my wife isn't a realtor and I don't sell Amway on the side). Try not to let those who bash the place influence you too much. Visit, look around and make up your own mind.

Growth at FedEx could stop or slow down any minute, and being able to drive into work each day or fly pm out and backs (if that is what you like) in order to spend MUCH more time at home with your young family will WAY more than offset the downside of living around Memphis. I was stuck on reserve for 2 years and probably wouldn't have stuck around if I wasn't living here. But even on the bottom of the list living here was too good to pass up.

Good luck.

FJ

And like other things in life--FJ "decided" to be happy and make the best of it. I've been with guys who loved Shaw AFB, Alaska, and Germany...and guys who DETESTED those same places. Life is an attitude.

If you CHOOSE to move to MEM, you can make it work and have a great time. If you CHOOSE to commute, you'll likely make the challenges work too.

Life is an attitude. I love my home...but I also seem to manage to have fun whenver I am in town between trips. There are a LOT of great people at the company, and I"m sure some of them will become your friends for hunting/fishing/sports car racing/furniture refinishing/motocross/Harley riding, or whatever floats your boat.

Panama City sucks however. Don't move here...

I live in Memphis and Like it. Originally a Midwesterner.

I think the flexibilty that living here gives with your schedule is great. I usually bid Reserve Carry Over, which increases your pay about 20% with out haveing to do one more lick of work thanks to levelling. Ona average I was used 4-8 Days a month in the back of the 10. We'll seee how it is in the 11.
Its easier to Flex if you live here, and pick up trips. And no waiting for a jump seat after a trip.

I live Downtown, by the river, and love the parks and retaruants that are down here. My commute is 13 minutes to the Parking lot. Next summer we are thinking of moving to a house, but we are mainly looking to live in the City, which has some great tree lined neigborhoods. (East Memphis, Central Gardens)

Now, everytime I watch the evening news, I feel like packing up and moving. But they really emphasis crime on the nightly news. However, My Brother lives in Downtown Philly and they have the same problems. And If we do move to afore mentioned neigborhoods, I will be buying a Bull Mastiff and an invisible fence for its nightly patrolling. Also, I am resigned that my kids will have to go to Private Schools, so its like having three sets of property taxes. City, county and Private. But My overall impression is that Living in Memphis makes a good job a great job.

But everyone has a different story.

HH...is that a VAN...down by the River? (with apologies to Chris Farley...RIP)

Nope

HH...is that a VAN...down by the River? (with apologies to Chris Farley...RIP)

...or the busted-up van in the Democrat lot. Not to steal the thread, but there should be a thread about the average car in the Democrat vs what the dude really drives / earns.

BS

Latest resources

Back