Memphis/N. Miss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MrCoffee

Anyone living in the area care to share info. Good, bad, ugly? Got a wife and two toddlers, poking around the area, thinking about making the move.

First, don't do it. However, if you do do it, get at least an hour away from Memphis. North Mississippi is much better than anywhere in tennessee around Memphis. I'd consider going about 2 hours east of memphis. There are some pretty nice areas around Corinth, Mississippi, or a little to the north around Shiloh park in Tennessee. Don't base your decision around the need to sit reserve, you won't be on reserve very long and it's better to hold a crash pad for a few months than commit to a place you can't stand for several years. A two hour drive to work is no big deal if you only do it two or three times a month, which is the norm once you hold a line.

Basically, get outside the Memphis sphere of enfluence and you'll be okay. Life's too short to live in a $hithole.

I am moving to Olive Branch. Coming from New Orleans, Olive Branch is nice. Home prices are more affordable. It is only about a 20 minute drive to the terminal.

Anyone living in the area care to share info. Good, bad, ugly? Got a wife and two toddlers, poking around the area, thinking about making the move.

Beats commuting.

There are definitely better places in the world to live, but if you like to see your wife and kids, this is the place to be. Collierville, Germantown, most of the places outside of the 240 loop are good. I don't know a lot about the places in MS just south of Memphis, but I hear they are good. If you do a F.I. search on the subject, you'll find a bunch of stuff has already been said about it.

Good: Drive to and from work. Home a lot more. Low cost of living.

Bad: Crime in the city. City government is run by a bunch of criminals. Racism. Bible thumpers abound (most of them are OK, just a run in with one every now and then). The weather is goofy, it's to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter and usually there is nothing in between (like spring and fall). 7-8 hours to the closest beach, unless you count a lake.

Ugly: The Grizzlies suck this year (4-13, but they have a bright future)

I think the positives out far outweigh the negatives. But, I guess since I live here, I'm not very impartial. The people that need to speak up are the ones that have either 1) moved away but have positive things to say or 2) live here and don't like it (LIVE here does not mean have crashpads, I know you guys don't like it)

Good luck in whatever you choose.

C'mon guys, east memphis is really nice.....like nashville, and knoxville :D

I lived in Germantown for 10 years. It is a very nice place to live. Just don't plan on venturing too far west. If I went back I would either go to Collierville, Lakeland, or down into Olive Branch. Shelby County Schools are a must if you live in TN. I hear that North Mississippi schools are nice but the county school system has more money.

Memphis is the worst city I have ever lived in!!!!! I cannot begin to tell you the things I have seen. STAY AWAY. FAR AWAY!

Be smart and bring your family down for a week "vacation" to explore MEM and northern Miss. I grew up here and most of my family still lives here but it takes getting used to. I have several friends who moved here to only move away in a couple of years. Two points to emphasize: 1: East Memphis isn't all its cracked up to be, although EAST Memphis (Nashville and Knoxville) is. 2: I live in Indiana now. Good luck and make an informed decision because commuting is pretty great.

Check out Oxford, MS. ~1:20 to the airport and a nice college town. I'd move there, and I still may.....

Latest resources

Back