• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Memphis/N. Miss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dont do it unless your moving from Oakland or Detroit. Other wise you will be downgrading for sure.

People who think the Memphis population is rude have never lived in Philly. :) If you don't mind ethnic diversity, Memphis isn't a bad town. My recommendation would be to look into Germantown, Collierville and other areas on the eastern side of town. The homes are nicer and the area has a better feel than on the western side of town. I don't have children so I can't help you in that respect.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
My wife and I have agreed, in principle, to move to Memphis sometime in 2007. We currently live on the FL Gulf Coast down the road from Albie, and we're well aware of what we're going to miss around here. On the flipside, the commute is painful for me and sitting reserve in the crashpad sucks. Even when I can hold a line, I'll still suck up around 4 extra days a month working due to the commute. If I live in Mempis, I can not only save those 4 days but I can also be home every night of the month if I want to. The time with my wife and baby girl will more than offset any downside to living in Memphis. Crime and rude people are not only found in Memphis, they can be found anywhere and everywhere. Short of moving to Idaho, there's probably no way to avoid the problems of any metro area. I like to think we're on a five year plan - move to C'Vill or N. Miss (still considering all the options) for five years, re-evaluate our position, and either stay or pick somewhere else to go. It does help that I've got a flexible wife (so to speak) who wants me home as much as possible and that neither one of us has a "hometown" we're dying to get back to. Put all that together, and Memphis is the logical choice for us. And like Albie said, you can be happy anywhere with the right attitude.

Oakland?

Does anyone know anything about Oakland, TN?

Looks like a small town that is starting to grow with some new housing developments.

I'm kindof in your same boat Deuce, we really don't have anywhere else to go, and I've got two in diapers, so being home to help my wife is priority one. I just get a little gunshy when people talk like ALL of the Memphis area is one big home invasion and carjacking party.

Oakland is nice but it is a huge speed trap. Be sure to slow down on 64 there as you pass through.

FJ

Bartlett

Don't forget about Bartlett. NE of the loop...little further to the AOC but another option to Germantown, Collierville. Have actually heard of some property appreciation in that area. Might be worth a look.

Check out Arlington, TN. I live here now. It is a 35-40 min drive to AOC, pop. 7500 but growing, 10 minutes to Bartlett with all the shopping and junk you need. We just got our first Kroger! Lots of new neighborhoods from 120's to every penny the bank will lend to you. It's worth a look.

I like to think we're on a five year plan - move to C'Vill or N. Miss (still considering all the options) for five years, re-evaluate our position, and either stay or pick somewhere else to go. It does help that I've got a flexible wife (so to speak) who wants me home as much as possible and that neither one of us has a "hometown" we're dying to get back to. Put all that together, and Memphis is the logical choice for us.

Deuce,
Tried the same thing. C'vill for 1 then ANC for 3. Just treated ANC like another in the long string of Military moves. It was a good place to live for awhile. Now we live in IND, also very easy commute. So far been able to get trips that start or end in IND so I am getting a few free days at home. Would never move to C'vill again in a million years, or reccomend it to anyone. Living in domicile is nice, but never again in MEM!! Pick any city with a better commute that the beautiful Gulf Coast and your commute life outlook will improve.

If we ever domicile up in Greensboro, I'm there in a freakin' heartbeat. Or maybe Smith Mtn Lake, VA. Of course, I think that domicile would go pretty senior.

There are only two good things about Memphis, TN.

V1 and Vr.

I will bear any burden and I will pay any price, but I will not live in MEM.

Just my opinion, I might be wrong.

Champ 42272

Latest resources

Back