Melting Pot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sctt@NJA

There has been a bunch of talk about pilot experience levels lately and it occurred to me that NetJets really is more of a melting pot than most places.

We have:

Military pilots of every possible background from army King Airs to airforce F-16s.

A ton of regional airline pilots with experience in everything from Beech 99s and up. (actually Cape Air C-402s and up)

A whole bunch of former mainline legacy pilots including a former #1 on the list at United.

A few pilots who came directly from flight instructing.

Pilots from the charter and corporate world.

We are a little backward in demographics with many of the most senior pilots in their 30s or 40s.

I suppose flying here gives a good opportunity to see for yourself what difference background and experience make in determining the quality of a pilot.

Personally I see almost no correlation between background and quality.

But this could be a hot topic I think... perfect for flight info. What background or experience do you think makes the best pilot?

What background or experience do you think makes the best pilot?

IMHO, attitude is what makes the pilot, not where they came from. I've flown with great guys from the military, airlines, corporate. I've also flow with guys that shouldn't be driving a car that came from the military, airlines, corporate.

IMHO, attitude is what makes the pilot, not where they came from. I've flown with great guys from the military, airlines, corporate. I've also flow with guys that shouldn't be driving a car that came from the military, airlines, corporate.

Agreed. Regardless of the background the safest and most competent pilot will always be the one who recognizes that he will never know everything and always strives to be better. Also, a good/safe pilot usually recognizes what his/her limitations are and always stays within them. Having said that, some raw talent and a good knowledge base are good prerequisites, but I would say most of us have that if we've gotten this far.

Personal limitations

Agreed. Regardless of the background the safest and most competent pilot will always be the one who recognizes that he will never know everything and always strives to be better. Also, a good/safe pilot usually recognizes what his/her limitations are and always stays within them. Having said that, some raw talent and a good knowledge base are good prerequisites, but I would say most of us have that if we've gotten this far.

You brought up a point I've been discussing with some folks lately - flying within "his/hers limits." By the time we get to the point in our profession where we are flying for a company like NetJets shouldn't our personal limitations be set by the limits of the aircraft, company or FARs. For example, I've flown with a captain that said they wouldn't land the Ultra on a runway less than 4,000ft. Well NetJets says we are limited to 3,500ft and the book has the airplane right around 3,000ft (of course dependent on conditions). If the airplane is capable of doing it, the FARs and SOPs allow it, shouldn't we as professional pilots operating at this level also be able to do it? Of course I'll always respect someones decision not to do something based on there own safety margin but if we are operating within the limits of the aircraft it does make me question their ability to operate at this level.

Agreed. Regardless of the background the safest and most competent pilot will always be the one who recognizes that he will never know everything and always strives to be better. Also, a good/safe pilot usually recognizes what his/her limitations are and always stays within them.

Exactly...The only problem is too many type "A" personalities who are afraid to admit when they are wrong, or make a ton of excuses when they do something wrong (even the most minor thing)...These same type "A" personalities feel the need to be "instructors" on the job, and micro-manage too much. They make the job way harder than it needs to be.

Exactly...The only problem is too many type "A" personalities who are afraid to admit when they are wrong, or make a ton of excuses when they do something wrong (even the most minor thing)...These same type "A" personalities feel the need to be "instructors" on the job, and micro-manage too much. They make the job way harder than it needs to be.

I agree. It is a team effort not a one pilot show.

As an FO, I love a partner/captain to set a humble and grateful tone on day one. You can be the quirckiest dude on earth, but if you are easy going and willing to help get the job done without the tude, it will be a great tour. Plus you won't get a bad rep.

The "I don't do that, because I'm the Captain!" types are very few and far between, but they are very memorable.

"Ya hear me TOOLBOX?" "Catch the hint?"

Last edited:
Captain Dad, the fact that you are the biggest blowhard for NJA, and that NJA lost Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn as customers to Avaint Air over 2 years ago, makes me wonder why you don't change your avatar. Maybe if you make it something good, they will come back and suck on the tit of RTS like you.

We at NJA, can only hope. LOL

Discretion.
Confidentiality.
Two words that come to mind.
Hope someone has a friend of a friend that could forward that post along to Mr. Russell.
Service like that won't keep your customers around for long.

Definition..A pilot can fly themselves out of a bad situation, a "Good" pilot can avoid a bad situation before he/she gets there

Latest resources

Back