Meeting with Skywest,Inc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JoeMerchant said:
Doesn't surprise me. We have some very juvenile status reps. that are way out of their league. They are led around like lap dogs by an extremely militant MEC Chairman who has a "burn the house down" mentality. Don't blindly trust your ALPA reps. do what is best for you. What you saw today is only a sample of what "our" side has been doing for a long time.

Militant MEC? I wish! If they were militant, we would have taken a strike
vote by now!

Give me a break!

jehtplane said:
Today a meeting was held with Mr. Atkins, and I would just like to offer congrats to our two reps that made total asses of themselves today way to go guys. You know what they say about first impressions.

Alright, time to set the record straight! We are not ALPA reps, but we are ACC members!

As being one these 2 "total asses", who by the way were the only 2 LINE pilots in there aside from some training department guys. This thread has been totally mis-leading, in fact I will kindly repeat what I asked and might add that when asked we did inject some humor and even had a good talk with Jerry and Brian afterwords, so stop with the spin jehtplane!

I asked the first question about our hubs in ATL and SLC and how badly we were affected by the DFW closure and asked Jerry to elaborate on the percentages of flying contained in the agreement with Delta because a lot of us want to know if ATL or SLC is a place to settle down. After an answer from both Brian and Jerry I stated that I had one final question, and with a smirk, I asked if we would be getting those oatmeal cookies with sugar glaze on them on ASA flights? In which most in the room chuckled and it was asked for that reason, to get a chuckle, sorry you weren't bright enough to figure out it was a joke.

Later "my partner in crime" asked Jerry where he stood with regards to labor relations, pretty much we have been in negotiations for over 3 years and what is his plan? He answered that he wasn't sure yet and if we had any suggestions as to what the problem was he was all ears, granted he "wasn't willing to throw bags of money at us." It was recognized that there is frustration on BOTH sides of the table in negotiations and we simply shared that Ford & Harrison was our main frustration. If you have ever had the pleasure of dealing with that law firm you would understand. Our point was that the law firm is running negotiations and not the company. Ford and Harrison, along with Terry H. and Chuck T. from HR, have gone through and shredded our current agreement. My favorite part was Chuck T. was standing in the doorway the whole time this was being discussed.

Believe it or not we had a chance to talk with both Brian and Jerry after the meeting and had a very good conversation regarding the future and it was quite positive.

I don't know who you are or what your job at ASA is but you obviously have not had the opportunity to spend time in the shoes of a regular line pilot. Getting extended off a 4 day, showing on reserve for a day line and coming home 6 days later, constantly having to fill out pay querry's, etc, and etc. Or maybe you have and haven't the "stones" to stand up for yourself and this pilot group and are just a "yes man" around the G.O. Either way, we asked some questions that have been on the minds of many and injected some humor also, what other people around ASA thought of us and this pilot group is their opinion because for the most part they see ASA as a 9 to 5 job and are home every night in their own bed. The pilots are out there busting their arses on the line dealing with multiple issues such as Mx, and Wx. So just because some can't understand our job doesn't mean we do not have the right to question how we are treated.

So next time you want to union bash make sure you tell the whole story so that folks can form an opinion using all the facts not some words you twist to make your point.

Cheers

Plug said:
Alright, time to set the record straight! We are not ALPA reps, but we are ACC members!

As being one these 2 "total asses", who by the way were the only 2 LINE pilots in there aside from some training department guys. This thread has been totally mis-leading, in fact I will kindly repeat what I asked and might add that when asked we did inject some humor and even had a good talk with Jerry and Brian afterwords, so stop with the spin jehtplane!

I asked the first question about our hubs in ATL and SLC and how badly we were affected by the DFW closure and asked Jerry to elaborate on the percentages of flying contained in the agreement with Delta because a lot of us want to know if ATL or SLC is a place to settle down. After an answer from both Brian and Jerry I stated that I had one final question, and with a smirk, I asked if we would be getting those oatmeal cookies with sugar glaze on them on ASA flights? In which most in the room chuckled and it was asked for that reason, to get a chuckle, sorry you weren't bright enough to figure out it was a joke.

Later "my partner in crime" asked Jerry where he stood with regards to labor relations, pretty much we have been in negotiations for over 3 years and what is his plan? He answered that he wasn't sure yet and if we had any suggestions as to what the problem was he was all ears, granted he "wasn't willing to throw bags of money at us." It was recognized that there is frustration on BOTH sides of the table in negotiations and we simply shared that Ford & Harrison was our main frustration. If you have ever had the pleasure of dealing with that law firm you would understand. Our point was that the law firm is running negotiations and not the company. Ford and Harrison, along with Terry H. and Chuck T. from HR, have gone through and shredded our current agreement. My favorite part was Chuck T. was standing in the doorway the whole time this was being discussed.

Believe it or not we had a chance to talk with both Brian and Jerry after the meeting and had a very good conversation regarding the future and it was quite positive.

I don't know who you are or what your job at ASA is but you obviously have not had the opportunity to spend time in the shoes of a regular line pilot. Getting extended off a 4 day, showing on reserve for a day line and coming home 6 days later, constantly having to fill out pay querry's, etc, and etc. Or maybe you have and haven't the "stones" to stand up for yourself and this pilot group and are just a "yes man" around the G.O. Either way, we asked some questions that have been on the minds of many and injected some humor also, what other people around ASA thought of us and this pilot group is their opinion because for the most part they see ASA as a 9 to 5 job and are home every night in their own bed. The pilots are out there busting their arses on the line dealing with multiple issues such as Mx, and Wx. So just because some can't understand our job doesn't mean we do not have the right to question how we are treated.

So next time you want to union bash make sure you tell the whole story so that folks can form an opinion using all the facts not some words you twist to make your point.

Cheers

Really , I have been a line pilot for 7.5 years, nobody told you to ask and be confrontational now did they, is that how you really want to start things off? Next time think before you speak and know your facts. I was absolutely in no way union bashing, I just simply thought what you guys said was inappropriate and ridiculous. Cookies? Ford and Harrison. Poor wording as you were told wasn't it? I absolutely support ALPA, but I DO NOT have to agree with your opinions or the opinions of my reps either!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So PM something else there Jr. These were Facts.

jehtplane said:
Not flame , wish it was, not naming names. The first question asked was, I heard skywest is getting iced oatmeal cookies, are we getting them too? Second question was How do you feel about the 3.5 years of negotiating? Mr Atkin's then asked what he thought the problem was, response was simply two words, Ford and Harrison. Your first meeting with our new chief and these are your first two questions? This sounds simple but the tone and they way they were asked came off as attacking and was viewed by everyone else in the room, apparently you could have heard a cricket fart

Jeez, if you're going to flame someone, at least be accurate. Plug's post got the sequence of questions and discussions right. Seems to me that Mr Atkin and the room laughed about the OBVIOUSLY joking question about the oatmeal cookies.

Also, these CEO's get paid the big money to answer to tough questions, and as employees, they have to answer to us. If this jehtplane guy really is an ASA pilot, I would think he'd be wondering why it has taken 3 (not 3.5 dummy) years of negotiations to reach the point we have.

Also, along the lines of getting facts straight, 2 line pilots who volunteer time for ALPA, not 2 reps. Reps are elected officials.

Total Flame Bait.

By the way, jehtpilot, you wouldn't happen to be Chuckie T, would you??? It honestly wouldn't suprise me. Whoever you are, you probably wouldn't recognize a line pilot if one walked past you dressed for work...

Last edited:
I just got the low-down from the ACC guys that were there.

First, the whole cookie question was in jest and it was received that way. I for one look forward to those cookies :) For those of you who have been here as long as I have (8 years and counting...not proud of it) remember those delicious Snickerdoodles we had at one time.

The question about company relations and negotiations was certainly fair. It is a serious issue that Mr. Atkin needs to address.

I would like to have asked Mr. Atkin what his vision is for ASA. The answer may shed more light on several of our issues.

WWEfan said:
I just got the low-down from the ACC guys that were there.

First, the whole cookie question was in jest and it was received that way. I for one look forward to those cookies :) For those of you who have been here as long as I have (8 years and counting...not proud of it) remember those delicious Snickerdoodles we had at one time.

The question about company relations and negotiations was certainly fair. It is a serious issue that Mr. Atkin needs to address.

I would like to have asked Mr. Atkin what his vision is for ASA. The answer may shed more light on several of our issues.

I agree, I would also like to know what the plans are, however I do not think the timing or the questions were appropriate, just my opinion. As far as the cookie joke, I personally did not hear that one.

But then again I have been drinking for 15 years and my judgement is a little clouded.

Let me set the record straight: As a SKYW pilot I can assure you those oatmeal cookies are as hard as hockey pucks, and no good unless dipped in coffee or given "the treatment" by friendly F/As of putting them on top of the coffee warmer to soften them up.

I seriously think they teach them to do that in groundschool.

Now the UAL First Class snacks on the 70, well, if it were allowed for crews to eat them I'm sure I could tell you how good they are...

sabreliner said:
Jeez, if you're going to flame someone, at least be accurate. Plug's post got the sequence of questions and discussions right. Seems to me that Mr Atkin and the room laughed about the OBVIOUSLY joking question about the oatmeal cookies.

Also, these CEO's get paid the big money to answer to tough questions, and as employees, they have to answer to us. If this jehtplane guy really is an ASA pilot, I would think he'd be wondering why it has taken 3 (not 3.5 dummy) years of negotiations to reach the point we have.

Also, along the lines of getting facts straight, 2 line pilots who volunteer time for ALPA, not 2 reps. Reps are elected officials.

Total Flame Bait.

By the way, jehtpilot, you wouldn't happen to be Chuckie T, would you??? It honestly wouldn't suprise me. Whoever you are, you probably wouldn't recognize a line pilot if one walked past you dressed for work...

If you say so!!!!

jehtplane said:
Really , I have been a line pilot for 7.5 years, nobody told you to ask and be confrontational now did they, is that how you really want to start things off? Next time think before you speak and know your facts. I was absolutely in no way union bashing, I just simply thought what you guys said was inappropriate and ridiculous. Cookies? Ford and Harrison. Poor wording as you were told wasn't it? I absolutely support ALPA, but I DO NOT have to agree with your opinions or the opinions of my reps either!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So PM something else there Jr. These were Facts.

Nice!!! 7.5 years over 5 years, you are obviously much smarter than me you salty dog you. Here is some proof of your spin:

"Not flame , wish it was, not naming names. The first question asked was, I heard skywest is getting iced oatmeal cookies, are we getting them too?"

These were your words earlier on this thread, and you can't even get your spun posts right, sport! Like I said, I asked about the percentages in the DAL agreement first. After that, for some humor because the room was filled with many GO stiffs, I asked about the cookies which Skywest already has. Obviously you fit in well over there at the Crystal palace. Talk about getting your facts right!

And once again, I am not a rep. and the other pilot is not a rep. We asked questions of our new leadership based on our own opinions and exploited some sore spots, this is obvious because you have your panties in a bind, it also just so happens that several ASA pilots share the same opinion as us, and HELL yeah we should get the cookies!

Latest resources

Back