Medical fails may climb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Will you guys please get to the comedy of this:

1. Guys on the overnight cutting wait like wrestlers. Running up and down the hotel hallway in trash bags and sweat shirts.

2. Interview: tell me about a time you exercised. Tell me about a time you walked away from a crew drinking and eating wings.

3. The obvious FA windfall

4. How about the BMI and retirement numbers at Delta/United etc.

Bravo Dude! Bravo!

What bothers me more than all this is half the time on the flight control check before take-off, the yoke is blocked by the other guy's belly (this is on the 737). I think you should pass your medical if that is the case. (I think it happens about 25% of my flights, estimating conservatively)
FO used to to the flight control check. When CA called for the After Start I promptly did the check. On probation with a horizontally enhanced captain. Yoke hits him. Critiqued me after flight to warn him when I'm going to pull the yoke. I'm going to pull the yoke when you call for the checklist--see the connection?

FO used to to the flight control check. When CA called for the After Start I promptly did the check. On probation with a horizontally enhanced captain. Yoke hits him. Critiqued me after flight to warn him when I'm going to pull the yoke. I'm going to pull the yoke when you call for the checklist--see the connection?

Do you do everything in a rote way? . You were new, but as you gain experience most realize that it is good CRM and good situational awareness to have the courtesy to think about the other pilot and how your actions may effect your fellow pilot rather than just blindly do what the checklist calls for without thinking whether or not it is a good time or place to do so.

Do you do everything in a rote way? . You were new, but as you gain experience most realize that it is good CRM and good situational awareness to have the courtesy to think about the other pilot and how your actions may effect your fellow pilot rather than just blindly do what the checklist calls for without thinking whether or not it is a good time or place to do so.

Replace "control check" with "raise retirement age", then reconsider your words.

You guys can talk the talk, can't walk the walk.

Last edited:
If he didn't know the flight control check was in the checklist he was calling for then I really don't what I could do for him. It wasn't the first time. And yes, I run checklist in a rote way, as they're written, by SOP.

Yep. It's funny how some guys are completely clueless about this . . . . I could be on the phone with MOC and they just start reciting the departure brief . . . . and at a point of departure where you really want to have both guys paying attention to the DP, or getting the clearance over the radio at some foreign location, when you're not even in the cockpit.

Indoc 101- If you are getting the clearance over the radio, ask the other pilot if he'd like to listen in, especially at any place where they end your clearance with, "Vaya con Dios, Citroos". :laugh:

I wonder if Harvey Watt will be ready for the onslaught? And everyone here thinks that their insurance will pay for it, but if you need a referral from a Primary Care Physician, they may not give it without some symptoms of sleep apnea. Then you'll be on the hook for the hundreds or thousands of dollars in testing expense.

If the FAA can get away with bypassing the rulemaking process, how secure do you think other FAA policies such as ASAP, union participation in accident investigation and perhaps the longstanding policy of not punishing pilots involved in accidents with jail time?

Latest resources

Back