• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical ? ASAP!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, if your a CFI you only need a 3rd class medical. If the student is appropriately rated in the aircraft, you don't need a medical at all.

[font=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL][size=-1]At the pilots' convention I mentioned earlier, there was an urban legend floating around that you needed a second class medical certificate to teach; some of the instructors there opined that you couldn't accept money for training without a second class medical. FAR 61.23(a)(3)(iv) tells us that a person must hold at least a third class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate if the person is acting as the PIC or serving as a required pilot crew member. A second class medical isn't mentioned, nor is it noted in the eligibility requirements for flight instructors in FAR 61.183. There is no reference to the circumstances under which you cannot accept money for flight instruction.[/size][/font]

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/inst_reports2.cfm?article=4674

Last edited:
But I don't know of any, or heard of any CFI's that cannot make a living without giving primary flight instruction. In that case, the CFI isn't valid without a commercial pilots licence, which is dependent on a 2nd class medical. He's a required crew member in that case.

Can a CFI make a living giving bi-annual's? He won't be able to give instument dual if the student is under the hood, he's a required crew member then too.

Exactly. How can someone who takes money as a CFI argue that they aren't exercising the priviledges of a Commerical Pilot Certificate which requires a 2nd Class Medical to do?

As a CFI, you are excercising your instructor certificate, not your commercial certificate. A CFI only needs a 3rd class med.

True, I just forgot to include it.

troy said:
True, I just forgot to include it.

yep...no harm intended...just wanted to help finish the thought for ya...in case someone studying for the CFI was readin'

-mini

F16fixer said:
Thanks everyone.

I guess I was trying to put a twist on it thinking that I Would be good for a year after the 1st class expired.
I guess I will get that taken care of before I start my new job. :)

So where was it that you got your CFI ticket?

Just wondering so I can tell friends to stay away from that school, they appear to need a little tweaking in the knowledge department. ;)

(You are probably kicking yourself for asking the question in the first place by now, so do not take it personally, had to give you a little grief over that one!! :) )

According to the DPA FSDO...I'm right........CFI's only need a 3 rd class...no matter what.

An older CFI I know cant get a medical but is still able to legally teach.

AlabamaMan!! said:
An older CFI I know cant get a medical but is still able to legally teach.

How does he renew his CFI every 2 years? doesn't he need a medical for that?

Latest resources

Back