Medical ? ASAP!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

I need some help understanding the regs concerning privilages with my medical.

Here goes:

If you have a first class medical, will say 15 months old, and you work for a 135 company hauling freight, your 1st class is good for 1 year under 61.23. I have always been under the impression that after the 1st class time limits are up, the medical cert. goes to 2nd class privilages. Does that mean my medical would still be good for another 9 months or am I twisting this the wrong way? I only need the second class for the job , but didn't know if my medical was still good.

1st class is good for 6 months... after that it allows you second class privileges for another 6 months, after which you get 3rd class privileges.

"IF" your medical is 15 months old and you've been flying 135, I think you may have a problem...

(d) Duration of a medical certificate.
(1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of--
(i) The sixth month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring an airline transport pilot certificate;
(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(iii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(2) A second-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of--
(i) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(ii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(3) A third-class medical certificate for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued--
(i) Before September 16, 1996, expires at the end of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate; or
(ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of:
(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or
(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

Last edited:
The medical itself is good for 2 years if you're over 40 and 3 if you're under 40...same for 1st, 2nd or 3rd. What differs is the privileges you have time to exercise.

With a first class medical, you can exercise ATP privlieges for 6 mos, commercial pilot privileges for 12 mos, and private pilot privileges for the remainder of the certificate.

To answer your question, your "medical" (privileges) for 135 (Commercial) expired 3 months ago if it is 15 months old. You need a new medical.

-mini

Thanks everyone.

I guess I was trying to put a twist on it thinking that I Would be good for a year after the 1st class expired.
I guess I will get that taken care of before I start my new job. :)

I've never heard that a 1st class is good for a year. But there are many things I continue to learn.

1st class is valid for 6 calendar months, whether you're an ATP or Private ASEL.
Now, once those six months are up, you still hold in your hand a 1st class
medical certificate. However, it can only be used to satisfy the privileges of a
2nd class medical for an additional six months. That would give you one year,
(12 calendar months) from the day you got it to use for "commercial"
(be compensated) purposes, whether its 121, 135, etc.

To exercise at ATP, you must have a valid 1st class medical cert. and it needs to be current to exercise 1st class medical privileges.

2nd class is valid for 12 calendar months, and this is required for those wishing to exercise the privileges of a 2nd class medical (Commercial cert., etc). After 12 calendar months, it is still a 2nd class medical but can only be used to satisfy 3rd class medical privileges.

3rd classs is valid for 36 calendar months, (unless over 40 years of age....then valid for 24 cal. months). Private pilots, Flight instructors, and others (reference the FAR's) need a 3rd class medical.

So...it sounds like you need to get your a$$ to the AME pretty quick if your 1st class medical is 15 months old (you've been 3 months out of a medical buddy!)

I could be wrong. It's a lot easier when you just go every 6 months and be done with it (obviously harder if out of pocket expense).

(d) Duration of a medical certificate.
(1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of--

(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and

AlabamaMan!! said:
...Flight instructors... (reference the FAR's) need a 3rd class medical.
You might be learning a little bit more, pretty soon.

FN FAL said:
You might be learning a little bit more, pretty soon.

What do you mean? Look at chperplt's response.....its right there.

A CFI acting as PIC (so teaching a student pilot) only needs a 3rd class medical. If you are flying with an appropriately rated and current pilot, a CFI doesnt even need to have a medical, as long as the other pilot can be PIC.

I think you just got learned up, hoss.

AlabamaMan!! said:
What do you mean? Look at chperplt's response.....its right there.

A CFI acting as PIC (so teaching a student pilot) only needs a 3rd class medical. If you are flying with an appropriately rated and current pilot, a CFI doesnt even need to have a medical, as long as the other pilot can be PIC.

I think you just got learned up, hoss.
I think you misread his post. If you are a CFI flying with someone who is not appropriately rated as PIC of that aircraft, then you need a 2nd class medical.

Latest resources

Back