Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mediator calls UPS, Pilots to D.C. for talks.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dav8tor

UPDATE 1-Mediator calls UPS, pilots to D.C. for talks
Tue Sep 6, 2005 01:56 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept 6 (Reuters) - A federal mediator on Tuesday called for the resumption of contract talks between United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and its pilots union, ending an indefinite recess.

Mediation between the world's largest package delivery company and its 2,500 pilots was put on an indefinite hold in June after the two sides failed to resolve their nearly 3-year-old contract dispute.

New talks were scheduled for Sept. 15 and 16 in Washington, D.C., the company and union said on Tuesday.

Contract talks have been overseen by the National Mediation Board, an independent government agency. Federal law prohibits the union from striking as long as mediation continues.

Last week, the union said its pilots had granted it authorization to call a strike. At the same time, the union, which is seeking improvements to health care, pension and job protection, said it was prepared to formally request to be released from mediation. UPS, the world's largest package delivery company, has called for mediation to continue, saying it has yet to make its best or final offer. The company says its pilots are among the best paid in the industry.

Dav8tor said:
. . . <snip>. . saying it has yet to make its best or final offer. The company says its pilots are among the best paid in the industry.
Now that's what I'm talking about. . .

Dav8tor said:
UPS, the world's largest package delivery company, has called for mediation to continue, saying it has yet to make its best or final offer.

What exactly is holding up UPS in making a best or final offer. Maybe 4 years will be the charm.

And the mediator. Brilliant piece of work. "You guys shake hands and make up. All better now? Thanks for the check."

How about a mediator with some integrity. He might then say, "UPS, you bunch of bureacratic shoe clerks, get into the game or I'll personally order the pilots to strike on principle. Then I'll triple whatever pay raise you offer."

Dav8tor said:
Mediation...was put on an indefinite hold in June after the two sides failed to resolve their nearly 3-year-old contract dispute.

That's the really pathetic part.

Organized labor is just a game to management. This pretty much is a perfect example.

Delta and Northwest pilots are about to take a 20-25% pay hit on top of what they've already shouldered. What incentive does UPS have to pay you a big raise?

There are lots of guys that would cross a picket line to be able to jump into a brown UPS jet. Not me, but plenty of other greedsters.

Baby Cakes said:
Delta and Northwest pilots are about to take a 20-25% pay hit on top of what they've already shouldered. What incentive does UPS have to pay you a big raise?

There are lots of guys that would cross a picket line to be able to jump into a brown UPS jet. Not me, but plenty of other greedsters.
Watch and learn. . . . . watch and learn. . . .

Baby Cakes said:

Incentives for UPS to settle its pilot contract
1.) Continuation of record profits of nearly a billion dollars per quarter, much of which is tied directly to its airline.
2.) Settling the contract would allow UPS to get position in China/India, which is where all of the growth is going on.
3.) The UPS pilots (IPA) are the most united group in the industry and UPS knows it. UPS would be crippled during a pilot strike. Even if Scabs were hired the Teamsters would honor the strike. This is not NWA.

UPS is a very stong company making record profits from the work of its pilots. If the company was losing money and near bankruptcy the negotiations would be entirely different. WHy not compare UPS pilots with those at FedEx or ABX or SWA? A comparison to airlines losing money does not make sense in my opinion.

But it's not FAIR for you guys to get a raise when the "real" airline pilots are having to take cuts. It's just not FAIR!

IHaveAPension said:
But it's not FAIR for you guys to get a raise when the "real" airline pilots are having to take cuts. It's just not FAIR!

"Real" airline Pilots!

I love it.

Latest resources

Back