• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MDW crashpads article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The MDW area has improved quite a bit in the last 8-10 years. But, it is by no means a garden spot.

About three years ago they busted a meth lab on Kilpatrick. Also had vice officers incognito walking around the area.

It'll all blow over. Just let it go. Stop talking about it. Don't tell anyone you're paying for a crashpad. "Just staying with friends, officer."

Live in you base? YGTBSM!

In 8 1/2 years I would have lived in SFO for 10 months, MCO for 2 yrs, 3 mos, IND for 8 months, CHI for 2 yrs, 3 mos, and LAX for 11 mos and counting. And, I'm hearing we might close LAX soon!

Never move for your airline! Find a place you like to live in the same time zone and commute. If it just so happens your home is also your base, great!

Did I mention I'm also a divorced dad? Try seeing your kid if you move around all the time.

live were your based

I totally agree. It is great to join an airline:

-- in your 20s and staying with that same airline until you're 65 years old

-- joining an airline which has freight, local, regional, national, and international operations, all at the same place, all at your base, so that you can seamless move from college (local of course) to CFI, to single prop freight to dual prop freight, to 19 pax ops, to RJs, then small Boeings and Airbuses, then 747-400s and 777s, all in the same base, with the same employment number, with the same seniority, from your 20s until you're 65

-- which is so strategically stable that its base (where you live of course) never shrinks thereby displacing you to another base

-- is so economically stable that it never had to furlough you so that you had to find a job in a different place

-- that never opens and closes bases, wherein you would not find yourself suddenly not living where you're based through no fault of your own

If you aren't employed by such an airline then, don't you agree it is great to have an individual lifestyle in which:

-- you can move on a moment's notice to be wherever the airline's new bases were, since you want to always live where you are based

-- your airline pays for all your moves, for whatever reason

-- you're so friendly that whenever your airline closes your base you can just pick up and move to a new hub and make new friends, sometimes every two to three years

-- your spouse is so understanding that she is happy to pack up and move on a moment's notice (sometimes every two or three years ) leaving behind all of her friends and start all over again

-- your spouse loves to spend years getting everything just right in one house, then packing everything up and moving to a completely different floorplan where she shoehorns everthing in wherever it might fit, then starts the process over

-- your family is so flexible that all of your integration into your community via sports, church, vacations, shopping neigborhood is completely meaningless and you all can happily go through these efforts at every new base you move to, from your 20s through your 60s

-- your pocketbook is so deep that you can sell your house on a moment's notice (the same moment's notice you got that your base just closed, the same moment's notice that you go pushed out of your base due to lack of seniority) regardless of whether or not you sell at a loss

-- you're so lucky that whenever you move to a new base (sometimes every two or three years) you're always buying into a buyer's market, never a sellers market

-- your children are so well adjusted that they just love to leave all their friends at a moments notice, especially in high school

-- your children are so well liked that they can drop into a new school even as a senior in high school and, even though they're the "new kid in town," are instantly accepted and get dates to homecoming and prom

-- your children are so talented that they can walk-on in any sport in a new school as a junior or senior and don't have to prove themselves but are instantly put in the same position and status they were in in their previous school ("starting quarterback in Dallas High, good enough for me, you're starting quarterback at Phoenix High. Great to have you here!")

-- your adult children are so understanding that, despite moving them around every two to three years, they love you and are close to you, and bring the grandkids by, no matter where you're living now, because they have stayed put since they turned 18

-- your adult children love to fly on those great non-rev, standby only passes, especally with their small kids during holidays, to see you wherever you happen to be be based now

-- your spouse, in her advancing years, is happy to have you as the only friend she's got, because you've moved around so much keeping up with your airline's bases, mergers, BKs, that her friends have pretty much lost track of her

-- you don't much care for other people, because by the time you finish your airline career you will be all alone.

Anyway, ain't it grand! I would do this for less money if I had to!

Last edited:
Cicero and 55

Where is your crashpad tough guy? I live (and have lived) in Midway all of my life. I live at Archer & Central and the Garfield Ridge area is one of the best in the city. I don't know what area you are talking about...
What the hell is wrong with that intersection?!?

NO! I DON'T WANT MY WINDOW WASHED!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back