• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

McCaskill-Bond Seniority Integration Legislation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA will do Prenup agreement with Frontier Pilots that will help SWA get around Frontier Scope and also, the same Prenup will help circumnavigate McCasskil Legislation.

It would depend on the PWA's of the pilot groups involved. FAPA has a PWA, it's been recently approved by the judge and is a part of Frontiers plan of reorganization. It has successorship protections.

I think folks need to remember that Frontier is not in Chapter 7. They seem to be doing well in reorganization and they've been posting good financial results. This isn't a fire sale like ATA and this legislation was written specifically to preclude another AA/TWA integration where an employee group is denied their right to a fair integration if their airline is acquired.

All of this may mean that SWA may back out of this deal, but I think if they are serious about it and they truly want Frontiers assets, they'll have to play nice in the sand box.

I guess if they are not happy with what SWA offers they can say no. If SWA backs out then F9 can go with republic. I think they will accept a staple, pay and Base lock. Plus seniority for vacation etc. That is it for now. I said enough since I am not in either corner. Later

SWA will do Prenup agreement with Frontier Pilots that will help SWA get around Frontier Scope and also, the same Prenup will help circumnavigate McCasskil Legislation.

If they do a prenup with the Frontier pilots then that implies a negotiated list. That would be great, I hope it works out and you get a mutually beneficial seniority list.

I guess if they are not happy with what SWA offers they can say no. If SWA backs out then F9 can go with republic. I think they will accept a staple, pay and Base lock. Plus seniority for vacation etc. That is it for now. I said enough since I am not in either corner. Later

That's right, choices have to be made by all sides.

I'm not personally involved in this potential transaction, but I do have a problem with the strong arming some seem to think is appropriate.

Any aircraft that SWA owns or buys must be operated by SWAPA pilots. This is very simple. If the two unions cannot settle all issues upfront then Gary will not do it.

Are Skywest and ASA under 1 seniority list?

Skywest has no contract, and ASA didn't have any contract language that required an integration (same reason that Delta could purchase them and not integrate).

What would happen if they kept F9 as a seperate airline. Assuming it did not violate SWAPA. Would they have to combine the list? I do not believe they have one list with Lynx. And that brings up another question. According to your theory Lynx would also have to be included.

Lynx is included under special exceptions within the FAPA scope language. An acquisition by SWA would not be. SWA could certainly purchase F9 and operate them as a completely separate operation, but the second they try to "pool" assets, such as using F9 gates for SWA operations, the FAPA scope clause kicks in and requires an integration.

FAPA would not be wise to accept such a thing. Hopefully they will look at what the APA did to the TWA pilots when they signed away their scope protections.

Simple, SWA will use their own A/C and swap all the gates. Its going to be so easy for them to kick F9 to the curb. I hate to say it, but SWA ain't stupid! They will not pool any assets. They are buying F9 to eliminate competition, simple as that. F9 will be gone in 3 years, and all the pilots will be on the street. And I'm not saying I like it, but thats the way its going to be. If you think SWA can't move around FAPA you are out of your mind........ Funny thing is PCL, you keep saying how the government won't let it happen, and then I point out that Skywest bought ASA and they are operated seperately as different airlines with different seniority lists. SWA will do the same thing. And get rid of F9, and its employees. For god sakes, MEH subbed all thier flying out to Republic and ALPA was helpless to stop it. Yet you think FAPA can? You simply don't get it do you!

Last edited:
Simple, SWA will use their own A/C and swap all the gates.

Swapping the gates would trigger the Section 1 language. Unless all assets are kept completely separate, the scope language comes into play. I'm not a big fan of independent unions, as you well know, but I have to admit that FAPA seems to have done a pretty decent job of writing their scope clause.

I hate to say it, but SWA ain't stupid!

Agreed. That's why they're demanding that FAPA come down to Dallas to talk with them about signing away their scope language. SWA management knows that that language will inhibit what they're trying to do, so they're going to try to convince FAPA to give it up. The same thing happened with TWA/AMR, but the TWA pilots were in much worse shape, because they were likely to liquidate without the deal. F9 has more leverage, because they have an alternate deal on the table with Republic. If they refuse to accept SWA's terms, then SWA can take their ball and go home, and the FAPA pilots still have jobs under Republic.

Funny thing is PCL, you keep saying how the government won't let it happen

The government? I'm talking contract language, not government legislation. Bond-McCaskill is a completely separate issue.

and then I point out that Skywest bought ASA and they are operated seperately as different airlines with different seniority lists.

Different scope language. The whole RJDC battle was linked back to the fact that neither the DAL nor the CMR/ASA scope language required an integration. The FAPA language appears to have enough protections.

For god sakes, MEH subbed all thier flying out to Republic and ALPA was helpless to stop it. Yet you think FAPA can?

Again, different contract language.

You simply don't get it do you!

Have you read the FAPA contract? Here's the applicable section:

G. MERGER PROTECTION

1. In the event of a merger between the Company and another air carrier (i.e. the combination of all or substantially all
the assets of the 2 carriers) where the pre-merger operations are integrated, the integration shall be in accordance
with Sections 2, 3, and 13 of the Labor Protective Provisions specified by the Civil Aeronautics Board in the Allegheny-
Mohawk merger (“Allegheny-Mohawk LPP’s”). The term merger as used herein means joint action by the 2 carriers
whereby they unify, consolidate, merge, or pool in whole or in part their separate airline facilities or any of the
operations or services previously performed by them through such separate facilities.

2. In the event the Company acquires all or substantially all of the assets or equity of another air carrier, or another air
carrier acquires all or substantially all of the assets or equity of the Company, the Company shall meet promptly with
the Association to negotiate a possible Fence Agreement to be in effect during the period, if any, the 2 carriers are
operated separately without integration of the Pilot work force. These discussions shall not be pursuant to Section 6
of the Railway Labor Act, as amended, and reaching an agreement with the Association shall not be a prerequisite for
closing, or any other aspect of the transaction or operations pursuant to the transaction.

H. SUCCESSORSHIP

1. This Agreement shall be binding upon any successor or assign of the Company unless and until changed in
accordance with the provisions of the Railway Labor Act, as amended.
For the purposes of this Paragraph H, a
successor or assign shall be defined as an Entity, which acquires all or substantially all of the assets or equity of the
Company through a single transaction or multi-step, related transactions.

2. No contract or other legally binding commitment involving a successor or assign shall be signed or otherwise entered
into unless it is agreed as a material and irrevocable condition of entering into, concluding and implementing such
transaction that the successor shall be bound by this Agreement, shall recognize the Association as the
representative of the Pilots, and shall assume the employment of the Pilots.

So who is a lawyer here? Let this play out between the two parties involved. The big play is who SWA goes after next.

Latest resources

Back