• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

May 20 Alaska Position Bid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the third group that was hired before the "old girl" flew west, and still didn't give a rats ass how cool it is to dead stick a 37 into OTZ, below mins and overweight. The "Arctic Eagle" stuff is a crock. fly the plane the way the guys who sign our paychecks tell us too...the "old girl" is gone.

Atta boy, Mookie, you tell 'em. Funny how it is generally the "Arctic Eagles" who get busted for doing the non-standard stuff.

not to stop all the friendly banter :) but does this mean you guys will be hiring anytime soon? Will this vacancy recall the furloughs?

Not all of them. However, there are (rumor) two more bids coming up that will have all the furloughs back on the property. One of the guys on the hiring board said they're spooling up for interviews this fall for spring new hires.

And that's the best news of all.

Tico - well said!

Mookie - your comments just reaffirm what Tico and I already know. You were never there and therefore have no idea what you are talking about.

The bottom line: The 200 worked this state for 24 years, from beginning to end, without a scratch. That is safety and as we all know "safety is no accident". The only way that happened was through training hard, with quality instructors and fleet Captains and a core group of pilots who took their job very seriously and had a heck of a good time while doing it!

In comparison - when was the last time a 400 / NG got dinged up? Every winter...
There is no comparison, if safety is your primary concern.

Any airline gets what it pays for. I think there is a direct connection with the money spent in training and the quality of the job done on the line. We have dumbed our training down now to the point that if you have a heartbeat you are good to go. As the years go buy, it will only get worse. Where will your skills be in 10 years if you have never turned the flight director off? How will you do in manual reversion if you have not practiced it in 15 years? Engine seizure in the sim? - we don't do that any more - it's to hard, to many pilots fail it ($$$ and time) and besides - it's not necessary, the CFM "NEVER" seizes... Cue Al Haynes...

So go ahead and knock the old MudHen and what it accomplished. Call me an old guy or an Arctic Eagle or a caveman if you want. I don't care. I am proud to have been a part of that group. I am grateful for what it taught me. I'm going to do what I can to keep what is left of my always deteriorating skills alive. I won't critique how well you pushed your buttons (jee whizzz you can fly the S&#% outta that auto pilot man!) if you don't critique how I hand fly in an attempt to actually be a pilot with some remaining skills.

Last edited:
Tico - well said!

Mookie - your comments just reaffirm what Tico and I already know. You were never there and therefore have no idea what you are talking about.

The bottom line: The 200 worked this state for 24 years, from beginning to end, without a scratch. That is safety and as we all know "safety is no accident". The only way that happened was through training hard, with quality instructors and fleet Captains and a core group of pilots who took their job very seriously and had a heck of a good time while doing it!

In comparison - when was the last time a 400 / NG got dinged up? Every winter...
There is no comparison, if safety is your primary concern.

Any airline gets what it pays for. I think there is a direct connection with the money spent in training and the quality of the job done on the line. We have dumbed our training down now to the point that if you have a heartbeat you are good to go. As the years go buy, it will only get worse. Where will your skills be in 10 years if you have never turned the flight director off? How will you do in manual reversion if you have not practiced it in 15 years? Engine seizure in the sim? - we don't do that any more - it's to hard, to many pilots fail it ($$$ and time) and besides - it's not necessary, the CFM "NEVER" seizes... Cue Al Haynes...

So go ahead and knock the old MudHen and what it accomplished. Call me an old guy or an Arctic Eagle or a caveman if you want. I don't care. I am proud to have been a part of that group. I am grateful for what it taught me. I'm going to do what I can to keep what is left of my always deteriorating skills alive. I won't critique how well you pushed your buttons (jee whizzz you can fly the S&#% outta that auto pilot man!) if you don't critique how I hand fly in an attempt to actually be a pilot with some remaining skills.

Dude...you are not a Mudhen...you were a mudhen pilot. there is a difference. The plane's time came and went, but just don't expect your co-pilots to fly the 400/ng like you guys flew the 200. It doesn't make anyone less of a pilot. Proving to me you can hand fly a .15 RNP approach is sweet, but at the same time against our FOM, so quit expecting everyone to follow your lead. (qualifier here, most "Eagles" are great guys to fly with on a daily basis, it's the guys still fighting some sort of war against the rest of the airline up in the arctic).

I once had a very interesting conversation about the 200 with one of your former "Eagles." He made a great point about the demise of the 200. Remember all of those times you guys over sped the flaps trying to rush into SCC? All of the time landing 1000's of pounds over weight so you could carry through fuel to OME? All that contributed to the exorbitant maintenance costs the last few years. His words not mine. I'm sure he misses the 200 too, but he also knew the plane was obsolete and just plain cost too much to operate and burned too much gas.

ok...back to the Bid.

Mookie

Last edited:
Guessing you are a new guy boxboi....has nothing to do with you....fact is with 9 airplanes we earned 1/3 of the airlines profits and bruce ,ray, john and bill chose to show some appreciation for that...let it go

Yeah, you are right. We are beating a dead horse here. It's just that there is a hierarchy amongst our small pilot group (uhm... some arctic eagle types) who seem to think that their $hit don't stink; kinda like those guys who never can let go of their high school glory days, if you know what I mean. I laugh everytime I hear, "when I flew the 200...". I agree that the flying was more challenging than your average airline flying, no doubt but nevertheless, it's just point A to point B flying. After you do anything a few times, it's natural that you get good at what you do (not all but a great majority). Okay, I'm gonna let this horse RIP now!
No, I'm not a newbie. I've been around this place long before the mudhens retired.

Last edited:
quote: " Proving to me you can hand fly a .15 RNP approach is sweet, but at the same time against our FOM, so quit expecting everyone to follow your lead. "

Actually, to be completely accurate... refer to the following:

"
• Without Navigation Performance Scales (NPS), autopilot use is

required for RNAV approaches with RNP values less than 0.3.

"

Handflying a .15 RNP approach is not against our FOM, and the above quote is from the FHB.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back