Mary Schiavo Suing (ref:PinnacleCRJ200)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dodge said:
Did they try to restart the "good engine" in the relight envelope? I don't know if they did or not.

Yes, in fact, they did. The #1 engine was virtually undamaged (as amazing as that is). The #2 engine was essentially fused, but the #1 engine managed to avoid extreme heat damage. It should have started. The bleeds were configured properly and they attempted an APU assisted relight more than once to no avail. It is still unknown why the engine would not start. That is why ALPA is pushing the "core lock" issue.

Everything that PCL_128 said is correct.

In addition, Northwest is named and not Pinnacle because Northwest owns the planes (that is my understanding). I can't remember if they still owned Pinnacle at the time of the accident, maybe one of their pilots can confirm this.

NoBathroom said:
Everything that PCL_128 said is correct.

In addition, Northwest is named and not Pinnacle because Northwest owns the planes (that is my understanding). I can't remember if they still owned Pinnacle at the time of the accident, maybe one of their pilots can confirm this.

Northwest does not own the CRJs. They are leased from a third party equity group and then subleased to Pinnacle. Northwest had only a minority ownership stake in PCL at the time of the accident.

Let's see if I can be a little more coherent in this post.

I meant that I know what I am talking about with respect to engines in relation to blatant limitation disregard.

If indeed the pilots followed proper procedures and the "good engine" failed to relight, then I commend the pilots.

Sadly, had they flown the aircraft within its limitations, this could have all been avoided.

Dont forget about The Eagle ATR in Roselawn that crashed due to Ice forming beyond the boots.....

ATR knew about a possible problem with the boots prior to the accadent, but hadnt released even a single Memo, AD, or other information and precautions. The Pilots, at the time, hadn't done anything out of SOP. The plane encountered severe ice, and ultimately fell out of the sky. The settlement between AMR (Simmons Eagle) was, in a nutshell, all those ATR72-212A, the ones with the six bladed props you see in south Florida.

The whole point of this being, the PCL pilots might have royally screwed up, but if there was a problem with the engines and Bombardier or GE knew of something and intentionally with held information, then lawsuits, fingerpointing, and ultimatley correction of the problem are due and need to be addressed, and immediately!!!

Factual Reports

If you are interested in reading some factual evidence of this accident; I suggest reading the NTSB's Pinnacle 3701 preliminary report documents:

"Human Performance Investigator's Factual Report" dated May 6th 2005 and, the "Group Chairman's Factual Report" dated January 18th, 2005 among others.

Both can be found on the NTSB's website and give an unassuming presentation of the facts in this investigation. You can also view a public hearing presentation that was given by the investigator-in-charge.

Here are a few excerpts from the Human Performance Investigator's Report:

The captain, age 31, held a first class medical certificate issued July 22, 2004, with the limitation iiHolder must wear corrective lenses.lv
3 The captain reported 6,750 hours total pilot time with 400 accumulated in the past 6 months on the medical application. A search of records at the National Driver Register found no history of
driver™s license revocation or suspension.

The captain was described by his widow as being in very good health and
someone who took care of his body and exercised regularly. He was a nonsmoker who would drink alcohol occasionally when out with friends. He did not take prescription or nonprescription medications other than occasional ibuprofen and daily vitamins. He had not been sick in the days before the accident. A Pinnacle Airlines first officer who had known the captain at Gulfstream International Airlines said the captain was a good father, attentive to his children, and happy about the upcoming birth. He said the
captain did not appear to be a risk taker.

The captain was married and lived with his two daughters and wife in the Detroit area.

His wife was 7 months pregnant at the time of the accident. His widow stated that there was no evidence indicating that the captain had flown with the first officer before the accident flight.

The first officer, age 23, held a first class medical certificate issued January 14, 2004, with the limitation iimust wear corrective lenses.lv
10 He reported 565 hours total pilot time with 200 accumulated in the past 6 months on the application. A search of records at the National Driver Register found no history of driver™s license revocation or suspension. 11

A Pinnacle Airlines simulator instructor described the first officer as a good pilot with a positive attitude and someone who would have made a good captain in the future. He said the first officer was a pilot who had a friendly style in the cockpit but was also disciplined. A simulator checkairman who conducted the first officer™s simulator check ride said he was a good pilot and a confident first officer. He said the first officer did a good job on his check ride and made only minor mistakes which were not uncommon
for first officers to make. One checkairman who flew with the first officer during operational evaluation remembered the first officer as one of the better first officer™s he had observed.

If you are ever involved in an accident, know that the investigators may formally interview everyone from your family members, to your neighboors, to pilots you've flown with, to the clerk you purchased a coffee from the day of the accident and more. They will dig into your personal life as well as your professional life and gather every pertient detail... good or bad in order to compile profile evidence that can attest to your state of mind and overall attitude among other things.

Ever busted a checkride? Did you pass your upgrade but encounter minor problems in the process? Had a driving ticket recently? Divorced? Separated? Girlfriend problems? Child custody problems? Money problems? Ever report late for duty or have a disagreement with another pilot? Sleeping well? Been sick recently? Is there anyone you know who would not speak well of you during one of these interviews? They will know it all and it will be included in their factual reports.

It is difficult to draw reliable conclusions in any accident without first completing a professional investigation covering all pertinent facts as well as having a competent understanding of this evidence.

Hey wait a minute - why is Mary suing anyways? She's not the government voice anymore - and besides the government doesn't sue - they take legal action (like the FAA) that doesn't need a court. So what's she going to do with all this money that she receives? Donate it to some good cause - like setting up foundations for airline pilots to learn to use common sense?

BTW, to reiterate - core lock doesn't need to be taught if you stay within parameters. Wing loss doesn't need to be taught if the aircraft is flown within parameters . . . and so on . . . you get the point . . .

Latest resources

Back