• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Married and Commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My wife is extremely understanding. We have been happily married for 10 years... 5 of that I've been commuting. All was well for the 1st 3 years.... after that it has started to wear on us both. You will start to recognize time at home that is slipping through your fingers never to be returned. That alone will double the amount of stress you feel.

DON'T commute unless there is no other choice!

If you think commutting sucks your wrong. Commutting really, really, really sucks. I commute and have over 25 flights a day to choose from with a really good commuting clause and it still sucks. The commuter clause takes away the stress, but nothing can take away the pain in the arse. If your commute is going to be more than 2 hours one way or more than one leg each way than just shoot yourself now and save yourself the misery. On the brighside, if you commute you will be working your way up the ladder towards upgrade, a major airline job, financial security, and a huge pension....wait a second

Me, Do I like commuting, NO! but it has not been difficult at all. Being new to this "airline world" and how I survived my first Christmas flying experience. JESUS THAT WAS A MESSED UP DECEMBER MONTH!!!! But during that month, No problems getting to/from work. Did not get bumped from any flights

Before I took the job at CHQ, I was living in Ft. Lauderdale. Wife and I made an agreement that if I was going to take the job, we move to Atlanta where she could get her old job back and accelerate her career and my commute would only be 1 leg. SMART MOVE!!! I do not have to worry about ASA/ComAir when going from ATL-IND (or vice versa). Now that Airtran has opened up daily flights from ATL-IND that makes it even more easier to get to/from work.

I say research where you are based easiest ways to get to/from work. What I did and commuting is a breeze. I think whats made it so easy for me is that I am based in IND and it is not a hard place to commute to. Yes, commuting is annoying but so far I have not had any problems whatsoever! THANK GOD!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Anyone married and commute like to shart their thoughts? good or bad

I am quitting my airline job and going corporate because of commuting and the fact I am not willing to live in Ohio for a few bucks. I have had a 2 legger for over 6 years and can't take anymore. Like someone else mentioned, if your wife knows what she is getting into, give it a try but unless its an easy one it will get old real quick. If your company is CASS and you commute on another CASS airline that may help some.

GOOD LUCK,

FD

Texans don't know how to make proper BBQ.

Now thems is fighting words mister. I guess proper for you SE'ners is pork and sweeeettt tea.

Brisket and Beans and 1/2 link of Sausage. Now thats some good eat'n.

FD

Nah, BBQ pork steaks with deer suasage smothered in Miller's BBq sauce

Jobear

I have been based in LAX for some time, and lived in Orange County for about 2 years. From my perspective the drive in LA traffic was at least as stressful as an airplane commute. At least on the flight, I can sleep while someone else drives.

At my company, LAX is about the only base I could really see myself living in. It is also one of the smallest, most senior, and most neglected by my company, thus it is the least secure, has least quality schedules, and a pilot is most at risk for displacement here. Thus making a commitment to live here very tenuous.

DFW is our biggest base, and my company's unholy loyalty to it ensures that it is the most secure of all bases. I.e. one could probably be based there forever if one wanted to. From my perspective, though, if I had to live there, the misery of it would unravel my marriage faster than any commute ever would.

LAXSaabdude.

I used to be a SAW based 1900 FO, bringing home about $18K/yr, and living in the old non-com housing (ie affordable). I loved it and (no kidding) would never have left. Fly the AM schedule and be home by 1pm, or the PM and be home around 12am, 13 days or so off a month (and that's even with me being way-junior). It was GREAT! Company, in it's infinite wisdom, closes outstations. I become a commuter, and by the time I was the #3 FO I had 8 days off a month, got home for 6, and wife says, "You're a stranger." "Whatever," I says. Until one day I get home and it's like being in someone else's house. "Oof, Wife's right," I think. So... take leave of absence, get job as mechanic at AE's SAW base, 9/11, unget job, move to OK and get job as jet pilot. Commuting might work for some, it doesn't seem to for most. And for sure it will put stress on you and your relationships. My wife didn't dig being a single mom, and if Momma's not happy... . And really, flying's great, but what good is it if it's all you have?
If you don't have to, don't.

Capt. Caucasian said:
I personally love commuting. Actually, I love where I live and hate where I am based. I commute from BHM to IAH and have not noticed a decline in quality of life since moving from Houston two years ago.

My wife and I lived in IAH for over three years and even owned a house. After a while we just could not stand the place anymore. We were far from family and friends plus Texans don't know how to make proper BBQ. Also, having to watch Auburn games on pay-per-view wasn't much fun either. Now that we are back in Alabama soon to move to Georgia we are much happier and our marriage is actually better.

I say, live where you want to live and a job is just a job.

Just a few great words buddy...."Roll Tide!!!" lol

Latest resources

Back