Married and Commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GEORGE DUBYA said:
Anyone married and commute like to shart their thoughts? good or bad?

I'd love to shart my thoughts.

Your marriage will be stronger if you don't commute.

I was married when I commuted.

I moved to the beach (30 minutes from base) and got a divorce.

Really, really ask yourself the important question:
Why are you married?

Just kidding. Don't commute, married or single.

works ok if your wife truly understands what she's getting into and she has some support (friends/family) nearby (especially if you have kids). But if you don't really, really want to live somewhere specific out of base then don't do it!

George,

Commuting married or single has a lot of other factors. Frequency, and time are just some that are important. I have a 40 minute commute flight that runs about every hour. I have done it for over 5 years and my wife has not once ever complained. The commute actually improves our quality of life since we live near family and friends and enjoy a better cost of living and live next to excellent schools. Hope it helps.

NRH.

My wife has been very supportive, but due in no small part to the fact that the commuting is coming to and end...soon. If it was not ending, I'd move to the base I'm at now and be OK with it. My wife couldn't handle it if I had to commute for the rest of my career. Neither could I.

Commuting Sucks, Bad for the Family

Well you all have seen my original post about MCO commuting......I just had 2 wonderful job opportunties which required extensive commuting, my wife has a very good Job here and is not about to leave...she was very supportive, I have done it before......It does make the heart grow fonder in many cases, in some it hurts the marrage badly...

I have spent the past week measuring and writing down all the pro's and con's of these jobs, the costs of crashpads, etc....The bottom line is one thing, Quality of your own Life and the lives of those that love you and depend on you for many intangable things everyday!.....

Once I boiled it all down, the bottom of the pot had my family and wife as the source of my quality of life, I work to live not live to work....I do love aviation, but I firmly believe its a young single persons job to hold...but at some point you wil get married and the kids, and you will want to be there for them, and for YOU...

Commuting is not ever an exact science, never will be and it got much worse for dispach folks like myself after 9-11.....no more flt deck rides like the good ol' days....nope...now It fighting airline employees, their families, tons of stand-by PAX, Seniority if it applies, and the the first come first served BS when the gare agents play the favorites.....Impossible, I just started buying real tickets but that will burn up any $$$ you just earned real fast...so what is the point....

I am over it, I have officially resigned from the airline field if it means commuting, I will seek what ever I can find locally in the field, or do something else....Family and God first folks, keep the priorities in focus, it is sure easy to loose sight.....good luck in the pursuit of happiness..

I did it for a while and it sucked. Here's how I looked at it...

I had a 12 days off per month guaranteed, and I subtracted from that, worst-case, TWO days per sequence, which some months was 8 days. Best case was 4 days.

You do the math.

Been-there-done-that....

I'll never do it again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back