• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

mandatory SB's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thats right. If the Manufacturer includes sevice bulletins as part of the approved inspection program and you are operating 91.409(f)(3) than you must comply.
Ch.5 will call it out.

I don't know why you would say "lazy" for that type of inspection program.
Not everyone needs to operate with a customized program. For many (f)(3) works best.

A factory program is a lazy way to get in the game; take something off the shelf and do it. Nothing wrong with that; just lazy. Certainly one can't complain about the requirments of the program when all one must do is write any program one wishes and get it submitted to the FAA, instead.

A manufacturer's program as spelled out in the current maintenance publications cannot simply ammend a "mandatory" SB and make it part of the requirements for the inspection. That change still requires FAA approval.

Mandatory Service Bulletins

I recommend following the manufacturers program on any biz jet. If I'm researching an aircraft to buy I would recommend the one on the factory program over one on an operators own designed program. In my opinion the factory program maintained aircraft is worth more in a non airline world. So if the mandatory SB ends up in Chap 5, comply.

GV

But that still doesn't mean that non compliance with a "mandatory service bulletin" affects the airworthiness of the aircraft. Most of us agree that its a good idea to c/w the bulletin, but the airplane is just as airworthy without compliance.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is not enough information in the original post to be able to say "no, you do not have to comply". There may be more to it than that and it may require some research before you make the call.
The following is from chapter 5-00-00 of a current a/c maintenance manual.
Active SBs are part of the recommended inspection program and are listed in the Special Inspection Requirements of this chapter. Any SBs released after publication of this index are active and will be added to this index in the next revision.
So if I was operating under the OEM program I would have to comply with all SBs issued by them.

Stal6

During an Export C of A inspection I have had aircraft get rejected because a S.B. or a Few were not completed as it was a requirement to meet it TC for Export... Complied with the S.B. and Export C of A Was Issued by the DAR.

In the case of an export, however, the matter of a manufacturer's election to include the word "mandatory" is irrelevant, and the requirement for compliance varies, as well with the destination, and sometimes with the origin. This is not the case for an import.

In the case of an export, however, the matter of a manufacturer's election to include the word "mandatory" is irrelevant, and the requirement for compliance varies, as well with the destination, and sometimes with the origin. This is not the case for an import.

Thanks Avbug I called one of the DAR's I use and asked him to clarify this last night he said most country's require all manufacture SB's to be complied with. When he gets the application for the Export C of A he pulls the country's requirements for Airworthiness and import requirements.

Rhight now I am waiting on 5 SK152-24A kits from cessna so we can Export a few 150's and now that 4 more SB's were issued in the last month another parts order was placed but parts are again back orderd.

My mechanic is loving the work...

You'll find that most DAR's who are putting their name to the application will want the work done to cover themselves, as the actual status of the application depends not so much on having the service bulletins complied with as it does on what the DAR feels comfortable signing.

Latest resources

Back