• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mandatory Reporting Points

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are these reports required when in radar contact? I had the understanding that they are always required. But I was led to believe otherwise. I'm going to pull out the FAR/AIM right now, but curious how other people handle them.
Man, who was your instructor when you got your CFI? Sounds like someone dropped the ball. :rolleyes:

Years ago, I remember flying a light twin IFR out in Montana. I wasn't sure about the same question you asked, so I queried the briefer at Flight Service. His response was, "Hmm...good question. Hold on, let me call Seattle Center."

Hey Flying Illini, it's not 29-1, it's 29-#1...that's right, we're still #1.

-W

-FlyChicaga, My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard....

Flown in Africa a couple of times. Most places there you report your position on a certain frequency, not to any controllers mind you, just to any other pilots who happen to be listening! Believe me, you pay a little more attention to the TCAS and looking out the window than you're used to!

FlyChicaga - in radar position reports are not required... you mentioned that you progressed a fix that was a mandatory reporting point but were still in radar. From what I get from your post the next fix was non-radar... here is why that is.

In non-radar airspace you normally are still in some sort of contact with ATC... be it VHF, HF (ARINC), or something like CPDLC. You do report that fix but not with the sector that has you radar... when your radar service is terminated and you switch to ARINC or next freq you forward a non-radar position report... you report your time over that fix, your altitude, your estimate for the next fix, and the next point after that. Keep in mind that if your estimate for a fix is going to change by 3 minutes or more you have to re-estimate with ATC...

I hope this info helps...

Latest resources

Back