Mandatory Reporting Points

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyChicaga

I did my first trip down to Mexico not too long ago, and pulled out my enroute charts and noticed mandatory reporting points (black triangles) on a few of our enroute fixes. I was ready to make the position reports. We were still with US controllers when we hit the first mandatory reporting point, and out of radar contact with center (and out of radio range) when we hit the next.

Are these reports required when in radar contact? I had the understanding that they are always required. But I was led to believe otherwise. I'm going to pull out the FAR/AIM right now, but curious how other people handle them.

EDIT: I'm reading the AIM now, it says that when in radar contact position reports are not required. Silly me.

Last edited:
Yeah, man...position reports when under radar contact = The Department of Redundancy Department. :)

Dunno how they do it in Mexico, though...I bet that's some interesting flying...

FlyChicaga said:
I did my first trip down to Mexico not too long ago...

How do you like CoEx, Chicaga? I guess you've been away from CE for a while, but watching the planes pile up here in SBN made me think of you.

Shy

Mexico, well been there done that. Its not that bad really, at least once you get in the air. Its hard to know down there when you are in radar and when are arent sometimes, so if in doubt, give a report. Its better than what can result in some third world countries if you dont give a report and piss off the wrong people.

If you do more overwater flying or international, you will see a lot more regarding reporting points, and you will have to report. some of them are boundaries between different countries airspace.

I've been to Mexico a few times now and i think it's not that bad, in fact I like it more, you just have to stay more on top of your game. So far I haven't had to do any mandatory reporting point other than when asked by ATC. Before they hand you off to some controller that doesnt have radar they tell you "radar service terminated". Then the next guy will tell you to report 10 DME from XYZ VOR or something like that.

Fury220 said:
Yeah, man...position reports when under radar contact = The Department of Redundancy Department. :)

That's really funny.

Yea, well put Fury!

Logically, ATC knows where your at when in radar contact. If not in radar contact, ATC needs you to help them out a little bit so they can "follow" you and know when and where you'll be next.

I've been to Mexico once as well, and we didn't have to do any of the labeled reporting points as well.

Like the other poster said, when in doubt, just ask.

Thanks for the replies. Luckily I didn't pipe up and look like a redundant moron. :)

Oh ShyFlyGuy, I like the new place, but miss the old place quite a bit sometimes.

Flechas said:
you just have to stay more on top of your game. So far I haven't had to do any mandatory reporting point other than when asked by ATC. Before they hand you off to some controller that doesnt have radar they tell you "radar service terminated". Then the next guy will tell you to report 10 DME from XYZ VOR or something like that.

All true. That's the only type of reporting I've done down there.

Latest resources

Back