Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jergbsn

JetPirate
I am new to managing a stock room and am looking for a little advice. My company operates three aircraft, where catering is on a passenger request basis only. Except for bagles are standard in the mornings. Our stock consists of a variety of liquids from juice to liquor and everything in between. As well as a variety of snacks from chips, peanuts, candy, etc... Basicly we run the full gamet.

Does anyone have any TIPS, HINTS, SUGGESTIONS, RULES OF THUMB, EXPERIENCE, BEEN THERE DONE THAT, DON'T DO THAT, ANECDOTES, GOSPEL TRUTH, OHHH GOD DON'Tss, about managing a stock room.

Thanks...

We keep inventory sheets in the stock room so the pilots can record what is taken out of the room. These sheets are then turned in with the flight logs so the owner can be billed for the stock. And be sure to check the expiration dates on the cans of soda. Diet soda has a much shorter shelf life than regular.

Good luck.

We keep each owner's specific requests in a different cabinet than the general stock, i.e. water, sodas, etc. Open the cabinet and his preference sheet is hanging on the inside of the door. Seems to work fine for us, we are an 8-10 aircraft operation.

Look at the bright side, Now you can put "department manager" on your resume

Rotate your stock around, and be sure to take weekly inventory. Nothing like realizing you are out of water before you get ready to leave. I always restock the A/C after each flight so it is ready to go the next time and it gives me an idea on what may be needed. If you are in charge of what is carried, I suggest 86ing the liquor. It is a pain in the butt to deal with, plus it is a liability for the company if someone gets wasted on the company jet and then kills someone on the way home. My company got rid of it, and it is one less hassle. I am not an alcohol nazi, i just think this is a good policy. However, if the CEO wants it, you're going to have to have it :)

I also try to consolidate what is carried onboard, so it is easy to keep things fresh. I would draw the line with 3-4 soda choices (plus the diets), H2O, nuts, crackers, and maybe a couple of candy bars or cookies. I have good luck with M&M's or something that people like and won't melt if the plane sits on the ramp all day. Bottom line, keep it as simple as you can, and always take a weekly inventory. Hope this helps...

I hate shopping, so I would buy a large supply of everything. This was a mistake because of the life of the product and some was wasted. Now we go every three weeks, buy less per trip, and keep everything fresh. We use lots of Special K bars and nuts, three types of soft drinks, three types of fruit juice, and water.

Becareful with the chocolates and candy bars, especially in the summer months. Can get pretty messy. M&Ms "melt in your mouth, not in your hands"!

After about 3 cold-hot-cold cycles beer starts to taste bad, well at least not good enough for the passengers. Take this home and place in front of the refrigerator for your cheapas$ friends to enjoy, while hiding the good beer in the vegetable crisper.

Hiding beer in the crisper is against "Man Law", I can't do that.

Really though, I appreciate the advice from everyone, thanks for your time.

stock room

Keep it locked and distribute as few keys a necessary. Is there a Sams Club located nearby? You buy everything in bulk, saves time, waste and money. Buy the liquors in mini bottles, costs a little more but you dont have to carry around a lot of decanters.

Cub

Latest resources

Back