• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Management Pilots Fired at ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left and have had no regrets after 8 very long years there. Jobs that pay and treat their employees better are out there guys and gals- I have have met several respectable aviation outfits that offered CAREERS!

Didn't I see you at FSI ATL in uniform on Fri? Did you leave since?

I've been hearing the same rumor and asked one of Gary's subordinates about it. He would not confirm the rumor but told me:
(1) The GO is being downsized because ASA is being downsized. The loss of 1,700 employees means there is less safety related work to do.
(2) ASA is going to be one of 7 DCI carriers in ATL and will probably be brought down to 20% of ATL flying when contracts allow this to happen

Independently, I had been told that SkyWest does not have a similar department and did not understand why ASA needed one.

However, after nearly getting rammed by a Delta tug driver, the ramp change will NOT diminish the need for a safety department, or at least someone to follow up on all the ramp rash and damage that our airplanes recieve. If no one chases this money down SkyWest is literally going to lose millions of dollars in repair costs.

Also, Gary Hall alternatively could be very helpful and very harmful when dealing with the FAA. If that position is not going to be staffed it would be good to know what is the appropriate conduit between the Certificate Holder and those with the power to take that Certificate away.

I don't think ASA will go all the way down to 20%. But the mood in the GO is worse than I've ever seen it and SkyWest has been very direct about getting rid of the more highly compensated employees over there. At the same time I see SkyWest installing some of their managers in maintenance which is probably a good thing. At least it means we will be around a little longer or else they would not be coming here, right?

Last edited:
Who got canned, Gary Hall or Gary Gross?
Hall has been around behind the scenes doing a whole lot of nothing for the past 3 years, so if his position disappeared so be it. Gross is a complete a$$ and wouldn't be missed by anyone outside of the "Kremlin"

Of course that makes it even more interesting. Didn't ALPA just put out a very embarassing report about ASA maintenance sawing the pitot tube of a CRJ and flying it? One that ASA threatened to sue the union if they didn't retract it? Perhaps a little too much heat on corporate safety?

And wasn't Sorrell a bigwig in the CRJ engineering department? Hmmm...

Isn't it more embarassing that the pilots flew the plane

Actually, its more embarassing that your would make that comment, as a fellow pilot.

One thing I learned early is don't ever say you would never do something in an airplane that in hindsight looks so obvious to others after the fact.

Medeco

Don't we all live in glass houses here? You don't know the people or the situation surrounding that flight. I happened to fly with the captain who flew that plane a couple weeks ago. Great guy and a very good captain. He told me the whole story, not pieces of it like most have heard. You might want to get some more facts about that situation before making comments like this.

The dispatchers actually have an ASAP. I had hopes of us getting one after negotiations, but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Well Said

Actually, its more embarassing that your would make that comment, as a fellow pilot.

One thing I learned early is don't ever say you would never do something in an airplane that in hindsight looks so obvious to others after the fact.

Medeco

Well said. Pilots who think they will never ever make a mistake scare the hell out of me.

Latest resources

Back