Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN
135 sucks. Did it for 3 years. Went 121 and took a 50% pay cut 2 1/2 years ago and have been happy ever since. QOL with no pager is great

That is exactly why I've made the decision to start applying to the airlines. I am fully aware that I am going to take a 60%-70% paycut the first year, but believe you me when I say it is so worth not having to live your life tied to a cell phone 24 hours a day. I did the 135 thing for 4 years and I will tell you I will never, ever do it ever again.

Thats funny,... I left 121 to go to 135 and my pay went up, and i got a much better QOL, benefits and schedule with no pager/cell phone. You should look at NetJets or CitationShares before making a final decision. Everyones situation is different, and I truly miss 121, but I have no regrets about leaving.

And what about these folks hiring street captains? If I were to accept an offer, how would the pilot group view me?

Most people wont even know if you were given a street captain job, even fewer will care as long as you can fly the plane. I came from 135 also and IMO you put in your time. The few that will care, let them cry about it. Someones always going to bltch about something anyway.

Word of caution though, companies hiring street captains are doing so for a reason. Usually fast upgrade and good QOL are odds with eachother. Instant upgrades even worse. As already mentioned you WILL be on reserve for a long time.

If you have a good quantity of time and some turbine experience, you should try to bypass the regionals. NWA, Delta, Continental, Midwest, United, Spirit, Airtran, JetBlue,... All are hiring and a TON better than ANY REGIONAL out there. If this doesn't pan out, then go to a regional for a year, but KEEP UPDATING with the majors. American should be hiring again in the next year or 2.

I am leaving 3 years at a regional for a 135 job to get an ATP and some turbine PIC time, so maybe we are swapping seats.

-CaKe

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back