Making fun of ERAU guys is fun!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
timeoff said:
True, but what good is an aero sci degree without ratings? In terms of gaining an employable skill set....Riddle has to be one of the most expensive institutions in the country.

It's like getting a degree in IT or CS and never getting any standard certifications along the way.
AS degree is worthless.

There is a job market for Engineering, Human Factors, Safety, Meteorology, and ATC, and Business tho.

All good programs that will in all likelyhood land you a job upon graduation, if the flying doesn't work out.

I think more students are starting to realize its a good idea to major in one of those, and minor in flight or fly off campus. I'm a Safety Science major and I've done all my flying off campus.

The facts about my post.

I should of said it is fun to make fun of idiot pilots that think they are all that. I did go to Riddle in Prescott for Aerospace Engineering. Well after 3 years I flunked out. I wasn't smart enough. So I became a pilot instead. If any young aviator thinking of flying for a living you can get the same if not more of an education at a mom and pop FBO for less the %20 of the cost.

For you current ERAU A.S. Grads let me ask you this. Does riddle let you fly IMC....I think the answer is No.

I just think Riddle might as well be Gulfstream or that Mesa school. Good luck to all.

gkrangers said:
Its also refreshing that this is a good discussion about Riddle instead of the usual bash fest....

It is. Thanks people for getting it on track with some good discussion.

I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a nice weather day then out with friends and co-workers having a spot landing contest.

gkrangers said:
More like 40k.

Tuition/room/board is on par with many private colleges who charge around 30k a year for that.

The flgiht will probably run you over 10,000 per year...its highway robbery when you compare it to flying at an FBO where you will get more flight time and pay less...You pay as much for a simulator at Riddle as you can for a real airplane elsewhere!

I enjoy it as a school, it has good degree programs (look outside of Aero Sci)...but the flight program can kiss my ass...FBOs all the way.

Well GK, I'll provide some numbers from my part of the country, you show me some from yours.

ERAU-PRC
Cessna 172S (2001 or 2002 Models) Wet - $113/hr
Cessna 172S FTD - $65/hr
(I haven't found a 172S for 65/hr like you mentioned in your post)

PA-44 (2002 Models) Wet - $226/hr
PA-44 FTD $112/hr
(Do you know where to get a new PA44 for 112/hr?)

Instructor Rates are $48/hour

North Aire Inc @ KPRC
http://www.northaire.com/html/courses_and_pricing.html
Cessna 172S (2002) Wet - $130/hr

PA-44 (Early 80s? Turbo) Wet - $230/hr

Their "Wet" rate I believe is kind of limited, they will only reimburse for fuel expenses up to the "per gallon" price at PRC. If you go on a XC to Vegas, you could still be responsible for up to $2.00 a gallon!!!

Their Instructor Rates are $50/hr
(And I know their Instructors see less of that than Riddles)

I'd rather fly a real 152 (67/wet) than a 172 FTD. (I said airplane, not brand new 172SP) This is in New Jersey.

Where I fly in Florida was as low as 72/hr for a new 172SP wet and I took advantage of that for a while...now its close to 90-100/hr wet, with instruction at 45hr...going up to 55/hr. But other schools charge less, maybe ~30s for instruction. 152s can be found for in the 60s I believe. Now whether you look down on the 152 or not for some reason, its a real airplane and an FTD isn't.

I paid ~165/hr wet for a Duchess near Daytona as well, as recently as May.

Riddle flight costs are high, and above most FBOs, BUT are below a few.

I really dislike all that sim time, as it is plentiful and expensive in the Riddle Part 142 program...its a real deal breaker for me.

I don't know the exact wet rates at Daytona, but I do know Instruction is 54hr, maybe 60 now.

Last edited:
I am sure they are fine pilots when they are done with there training at ERAU, but, could you stand flying next to a dude all day long that does not have some fun college stories?

Well, I was just trying to compare apples to apples, not oranges.

I don't look down at 152s, and probably the largest percentage of my total time is in a 150.

Nobody said that the FTD is an airplane. Nor is it supposed to be. It's a supplement to the airplane for training. You can do scenarios and situations in the FTD that you could not safely do in the airplane. It's also a procedures trainer that can be used so you're not wasting time in the airplane.

Yes, I'm sure you'll find FBOs cheaper than riddle, and I've found some that are more expensive.

I'll have to do some checking, but I dont think the rates at DAB we're quite that high.

Latest resources

Back