Making fun of ERAU guys is fun!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
navigator72 said:
Assuming no prior flight experience and no college, How much does it cost to get a degree and all the standard flight training up through CFII, MEI at ERAU?

Dude WTF is up with that avatar?

IP076 said:
Well, I was just trying to compare apples to apples, not oranges.

I don't look down at 152s, and probably the largest percentage of my total time is in a 150.

Nobody said that the FTD is an airplane. Nor is it supposed to be. It's a supplement to the airplane for training. You can do scenarios and situations in the FTD that you could not safely do in the airplane. It's also a procedures trainer that can be used so you're not wasting time in the airplane.

Yes, I'm sure you'll find FBOs cheaper than riddle, and I've found some that are more expensive.

I'll have to do some checking, but I dont think the rates at DAB we're quite that high.
An FTD has no place in learning how to fly a 172 IMO, and there is A LOT of single engine sim work at Daytona. They do VFR sim cross countries!!!

Instrument, fine. Twin, fine.

Private ASEL? Not so fine.

Yeah, a 152 and 172 are different airplanes...but real 152 > 172 FTD anyday...there is no way to justify otherwise when they are the same price.

Need to practice flows? There are mock cockpits for free use on campus.

Instruction at DAB is atleast 54/hr.

Simon Says said:
The facts about my post.

I should of said it is fun to make fun of idiot pilots that think they are all that. I did go to Riddle in Prescott for Aerospace Engineering. Well after 3 years I flunked out. I wasn't smart enough. So I became a pilot instead. If any young aviator thinking of flying for a living you can get the same if not more of an education at a mom and pop FBO for less the %20 of the cost.

For you current ERAU A.S. Grads let me ask you this. Does riddle let you fly IMC....I think the answer is No.

I just think Riddle might as well be Gulfstream or that Mesa school. Good luck to all.

Observe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us2eYi8MWGI

gkrangers said:
An FTD has no place in learning how to fly a 172 IMO, and there is A LOT of single engine sim work at Daytona. They do VFR sim cross countries!!!

Instrument, fine. Twin, fine.

Private ASEL? Not so fine.

Yeah, a 152 and 172 are different airplanes...but real 152 > 172 FTD anyday...there is no way to justify otherwise when they are the same price.

Need to practice flows? There are mock cockpits for free use on campus.

Instruction at DAB is atleast 54/hr.

One reason for our increasing flight costs is fuel: the flight dept added a fuel surcharge to each flight, and over time this significantly increases flight costs, but it is necessary to stay profitable. I think the new mgmt has made alot of positive changes though, including regular discounts for flight students during breaks/holidays.

I agree about the FTD for PVT...we should do maybe two or three during the course, but that's it. I think the main reasoning was to get the cost down for private, but from what I've seen it's still about the same. But, for instrument and multi their great. We save a LOT of time and money by "teleporting" from one approach to another, and can be in IMC whenever we want, a rarity down here. For multi, we can practice all types of emergencies that would be unsafe to practice in the airplane (engine failure at 100 ft, etc.)

The advantage the new Pt 142 students will have is more multi time than us in the older classes had upon graduation. They'll be coming out with 80-100 multi, where we had 25 for the CMEL, but that's it. Also, with the CMEL, I had only about 2 hrs multi PIC (checkride)...which meant I spent almost $4000 to get the multi PIC and checkride for the MEI. The 142 guys will have all multi PIC they need and will be pretty sharp flying light twins, so MEI should cost them a fraction of what I spent. I've found that until you get the MEI, multi time is tough to find (without paying massive amounts for it), while there are plenty of opportunities for single engine time, especially as a CFI.

Last edited:
I had a roomate who spent 12k to SOLO...

But anyway, as far as getting costs down, I'll believe it when I see it...

Brock..could you break down the current costs, and what times these Part 142ers are supposed to graduate with please?

Here are some costs dug up from my old students. This is the standard rating progression:

FA132 (Solo) $7000
FA133S (PVT ASEL) $5000
FA133M (PVT AMEL) $8500
FA232 (Inst Multi): $12000
FA272 (Comm AMEL):$6800
FA273 (optional C-ASEL): $3500
FA417 (optional CFI/II): $8000
CRJ Ground school/sim course (optional): $3500

Grand total: $54300, spread out over 3-4 years.

I don't know exactly what students are coming out with timewise, but I'm guessing around 200-250 total with 80-100 multi time, and 24 hrs in the CRJ sim if they opt to do that. These are the REAL cost numbers straight off my records....I even rounded up a bit since these were my sharper students.

Compare this to:
ATP Airline program: $53990
Regional Airline Academy: $60000
Local FBO: 39000 (no turbine training)
Other FBO: 37000 (no turbine training)

So what students get out of these programs is a bit different for each school, but the costs for the "airline prep" schools is about equal. Keep in mind too that we are a university, so Aero Sci students are getting alot of specific classroom training on alot of things they will see in the future outside of our flight department, but the costs for tuition, etc. are not included here.

-Brock Sargeant
MEII

Latest resources

Back