• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Make the AA hop next year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't hurt to apply to AA and see what happens when the time comes. You won't have the option to decide if you don't apply and ultimately get the offer (no guarantee). I'd probably throw your hat into the ring at Delta, JB and a few others as well for the heck of it. I hear Kalitta and Atlas (new 767 operation is starting up) are hiring quite a few and you do get hard days off. Good luck!

Applied to Delta, no call back. Good friend offered a Blue Dart with JB, had to turn that down simply not being sure that was where I wanted to be. Not to mention im sure my buddy would have been pissed if I got the interview and turned it down. Got the interview with Atlas and Omni both. But recently got married and the wife would have my a** if I was gone over 2 wks at a time. The real upside with AA is the opportunity to get in early and hopefully upgrade in less than a decade. Not to mention I hear they are going back to the old TWA reserve system. Which would make life quite a bit easier.
WRX, maybe im out of the loop but why would you go to SKYW? Were you worried about lacking 121 experience? You got bigger balls than me my friend:D Hope it works out for you and keep me updated once the window opens-
Corp

This is old info and I cannot predict how a company will hire in the future (duh!), but...

The move from corporate to 121 may not have been a good one. In the past, several of the large airlines hired from "pools". Not like the SWA pool but they considered your background and compared you to other candidates that matched your area of experience.

IOW, they aren't going to discard a Global Capt. who has 5,000 hours with 2,000 hours of jet PIC for a RJ Capt. with 10,000 hours flying between MSP and CID. Nor will they consider a Hornet pilot with 2,000 hours to be unqualified.

It may not be the same or they may look at jumping from corp to regional or supplemental as expanding your experience. Just adding a thought.

TC

WRX, maybe im out of the loop but why would you go to SKYW? Were you worried about lacking 121 experience? You got bigger balls than me my friend:D Hope it works out for you and keep me updated once the window opens-
Corp

Well, I did this for a few reasons... I was REALLY underpaid, and I was only flying around 200 hours/year (about half was TPIC). I only have about 2100 hours, so my TT wasn't going anywhere quick.

Also, I was based out of PBI and wanted to get out West again (I'm from Denver originally). My last three aviation jobs were all in south FL (CFI, charter, and the corp job), and I felt myself becoming stuck down there. That's great if you love FL, but I don't. I like snowboarding and mountain biking way more than golfing and fishing.

My contacts at FedEx also advised me that heading over to SkyWest for a few years would really be the key to getting me in over there, and as far as regionals go SkyWest is still one of the better ones. I was also looking for a new challenge, as I was sick of going to the same 5-6 airports every other week. Yeah, there's routine in regional flying too. But flying a Brasilia out West is a lot more interesting than doing TEB-PBI countless times in a highly automated citation.

I do like corporate a lot, and would be VERY happy to go back to that line of work if this doesn't pan out for me. I figured if that happens, having some 121 experience will only benefit me. The airline stink shouldn't be too bad since I already spent so many years flying charter/corporate... At least I hope so! :D

If I was in your situation though, I don't think I would've chosen the path I did. I had a lot less to lose IMHO...

Last edited:
Don't worry guys. If AA717Driver and I are ever on the AA interview board, we'll base our hiring on: the number of posts you have on FI.com, the # of times you called General Lee a troll, and G200 an overpaid/underworked whiny Gulfstream driver. So, by all means, keep posting. :laugh:

p.s. if you get hired and purchase a hat, you're fired. ;)

Don't worry guys. If AA717Driver and I are ever on the AA interview board, we'll base our hiring on: the number of posts you have on FI.com, the # of times you called General Lee a troll, and G200 an overpaid/underworked whiny Gulfstream driver. So, by all means, keep posting. :laugh:

p.s. if you get hired and purchase a hat, you're fired. ;)

Overpaid?....never once felt that!
Underworked....ok, guilty at times. Its my career goal actually.

:)

Latest resources

Back