• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Make the AA hop next year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5, can't say I blame you if you have a decent corp. gig. I would prob defer, too.

That said - 8/00 hire, yes you would be on reserve in any base but keep in mind, you would also hold JFK and MIA 767/Int'l... if you have to be on reserve, might as well go big. Esp. if you live in base.

And based on the company's plans to continue recalling and then hiring off the street, my guess is that you'd be off reserve within the next few months, at this rate.

At 85K I wouldn't hesitate to walk from a job if you want a change for personal reasons....with a decent reputation and network you can always go back and find that kind of money pretty easily depending on where you live.

And reality is....after a certain age, no hard time off isn't worth 185K, nevermind 85K...

As far as the above poster, IMO 121 certainly isn't easier flying than corporate all around, it just depends on the gig. Every airline friend I have works far harder than me. There's no "norm" out there.

All this aside, there seems to be quite a bit of movement in corporate hiring also?...maybe you can upgrade your corp job to one that provides better pay and time off....However, I admit I know nothing about the DFW market.

Either way, cant hurt to give it a look..

That whole week of flying this month might change that for you ....

Corp--Stand by for a PM. G200, you're losing your touch. B-J boy should be doing his own colonoscopy now. ;) I still owe you a call.

TC

Willy21, well said. Getting on at AA within the first 3-4 years of hiring will take an act of congress!! Only those that are extremely well connected and well qualified will get the chance to interview. AA interviews have traditionally been very difficult. There are a few thousand military pilots itching to get out over the last few years and over 20,000 regional pilots that want into a legacy carrier. My guess is over 10,000 AA apps within weeks of the window opening. AA does seem to be poised for a very bright future and those blessed ones that get in early should have a great ride! Just want to keep things in perspective, best of luck!

Thanks for the useful responses everyone. No doubt that it will be a competitive interview process when it does begin. G200, if you need a recommendation i'd be more than willing once you build a little more turbine PIC:D

CC,

All depends on your age and AA retirement numbers. I might have misunderstood, but I think you indicated you were still in your thirties? Probably enough said right there...Go for AA. I really enjoy my corporate job, but we will never have hard days off and never pay what the majors will either. In addition, what if my owner decides to sell the jet? Over the years, I've always heard about "great" corporate jobs out there. As you know, there are some great flight departments in America. But, usually the details emerge as some hard days off and decent pay which not all corporate jobs have. Well, you will have hard days off day 1 at AA. As far as decent pay goes, you should be able to surpass your 85K at AA quickly.

I have done both corporate and major (furloughed). If you live in base for AA, your job will be much easier than it is now. I don't have to tell you about cleaning the plane etc.....Whether that is better is up to you. Another poster described "upteen" furloughs awaiting you at AA. I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt that with the age 65 exodus beginning next year.

Lastly, don't leave your job now for an RJ. Beware of the corporate pilot who "knows" all about the airlines but never flew for the majors and don't EVER commute!

Hope this helps!

Thanks FS-
Yes, I am 32. I'd prefer to stay corporate but was interested in anyone else who has made the move and if there were any unexpected or unforeseen issues I may be ill-informed about. I will probably continue to monitor the situation in the coming year and make a decision when the "gates" open. Thanks again for the insight.

32 years old? Holy cow. Dude if you get hired into one of the first few classes, do you realize how long you'd be # 1 on the seniority list at retirement? Seriously... our youngest pilot right now is 36 and we haven't hired since '01! Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

Latest resources

Back