Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Majors wont be hurting/Regional on the other hand!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flybet3

Fly for me! Get my Bonus!
Everyone has talked about the pilot shortage for some time. Yet, I frankly believe the majors experience much of a bump. Why you ask?
Well everyone here is "fairly" smart lol, so it's obvious that even if there is a high demand for pilots they will have no problem finding them. They will first receive high volume of resume (already happening) from regional PIC's and even high time regional SIC's. Right now they can be picky, but when the need goes up then not so much. Yes I know, many very senior captains at regionals will not leave, and I'm sure SOME FO's will stay at their regional for personal reasons.

Nonetheless, they will always find pilots. The regionals on the other hand are in trouble, FO's are and will continue to leave, they will lose PIC's and although many FO's will upgrade they WILL have a hard time finding FO's that are qualified or willing to work for low pay. It wont be like before.

It wouldn't surprise me if regionals offer some ridiculous/unattractive incentives, up the pay a tiny bit, get desperate enough to hire street captains, or simply park airplanes. I'm sure they will come up with something to avoid paying more. Let's not also forget SOME fractional, charter and a few corporate pilots that are also willing to make the jump.

It's gonna be interesting..... discuss.

Ideally, most regionals will shrink to oblivion or go out of business. And yes I'm aware that I'm par to the problem by working at the biggest ******************** stain regional of them all. I still believe this place has no business existing. It's gonna be interesting watching the train wreck.

Last edited:
Let us also not forget that the new flight and duty rules will probably make the regional lifestyle suck even more than it does now, thus reducing the incentive to work at one.

I'm thinking 10-11 days off for a lot of pilots. If you are a commuter, this is a non-starter. Unless you are single.

Ideally, most regionals will shrink to oblivion or go out of business.

Wow, so just because a regional is a crappy place for a pilot to work means all of the thousands of employees at regionals should be shown the door?? The world does not revolve around pilots!

Wow, so just because a regional is a crappy place for a pilot to work means all of the thousands of employees at regionals should be shown the door?? The world does not revolve around pilots!

It's not just a crappy place for pilots to work. The other work groups are treated even worse. This place is a revolving door for everyone, except executives. The entire business model is based on extremely high employee turnover. Why pay someone to stick around for 5 or 6 years when you can get 2 or 3 newbies for the same cost? Hell, interns are an executives wet dream. Free labor in exchange for "life" experience.

It's not just a crappy place for pilots to work. The other work groups are treated even worse. This place is a revolving door for everyone, except executives. The entire business model is based on extremely high employee turnover. Why pay someone to stick around for 5 or 6 years when you can get 2 or 3 newbies for the same cost? Hell, interns are an executives wet dream. Free labor in exchange for "life" experience.

Maybe true for your company but you made a blanket statement grouping all regionals together, that is what I responded to. I understand a lot of pilots get all pissed off at regionals and want to burn the place down, not every work group feels that way.

Ok. I guess I can quantify my statement by saying all regionals suck by varying degrees of suckiness. We are nothing more than replacement workers. Why pay a mainline pilot 120k when you can get 5 or 6 RJ pilots for the same cost?

X=amount of passengers
Y=number of airframes
Z=quantity of pilots
Any change in any of the above factors will require a change in the operation.
IATA predicts an increase in passenger traffic.
Age 65 retirements are in place and occurring.
So if the flying is increasing, pilots are retiring, without significant new replacements at the bottom, the only variable that can be altered is the airframe component.
Reduce the airframes by either simple elimination, al la DAL and their 50 seat reductions, or increase the airframe size to absorb the passenger increase.
Factors indicate that there is a problem, one that will be changing the face of the industry.
True statement, "The world does not revolve around pilots" but the airline business does, like it or not.

Latest resources

Back