Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BrownTailGuy said:
UPS Rates

<<Our 12 year Captains make the same no matter what equipment they fly. Their rate is $190 an hoour.>>

They base the pay on the 767, hardly comparable to a 737 rate. Now look at the rate of a 2nd year FO. About $77. How does that compare with 767 FOs at UA and AA?

Why isn't Aloha on the list?

go to flightops.com and join for about $5 a year. They have all the pay rates and a lot of good interview gouge.

jhill said:
go to flightops.com and join for about $5 a year. They have all the pay rates and a lot of good interview gouge.

While it still doesn't have Fed Ex, this site is a good source, and it has the complete contracts so you can get into the manutia aspects that can be VERY important (retirement A, B, 401K, medical, trip rigs, duty rigs, insurance, mins, max's, ect.)

http://www.apapdp.org/pay.comparison.php

T-Bags said:
While it still doesn't have Fed Ex, this site is a good source, and it has the complete contracts so you can get into the manutia aspects that can be VERY important (retirement A, B, 401K, medical, trip rigs, duty rigs, insurance, mins, max's, ect.)

http://www.apapdp.org/pay.comparison.php

...but it doesn't show AWA because...

:p

Also, remember JetBlues payrates only go as far as 5 or so years longevity. So comparing to 12 year is a bit off. (at least to the best of my knowledge)

Astra Guy said:
Not being an airline type I was not wowed by the hourly rate. What got my attention was the employee cost/revenue %s. In our little operation our total employee cost/flight hour is ~18% of the total costs to operate our aircraft. The hourly rate for employee costs work out to be ~$900/flight hour.

I know this is not apples to apples. What is apples to apples are the employee costs as a percentage of revenue between the winners and the losers.

I don't have a dog in this race. Just an observation from an Economics 101 class.

After you FAIL Economics 101, sign up for Airline Economics 101 next semester and you will learn that most airlines spend more money catering their planes for an international flight than they spend on flight crews for that flight.

You will learn about stage length, hedging of fuel prices, how expansion helps the bottom line, how outsourcing smaller routes saves money in the short term. Can you say "productivity"? You will also learn the tricks that CFO's use to show a healthy airline like: placing sales on the company books as revenue, even if no monies have been recieved, claiming assets on your balance sheet - even though you only lease those assets. The list goes on.

Flight crew costs are a drop in the bucket compared to the total picture.

Linear math has no place in the business/corporate world. It is an entirely different set of rules.

Q. If an airline makes a 10 million dollar profit this year and at the same time, they sign new labor agreements with F/A's, Mech's and pilots totalling an increase of 10 million dollars annually, how much profit will they make next year?

A. if you say "0", then you know nothing about economics, airlines or how a corporation functions.

Come to class.

Learn to swim.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Hey Ben,

I am reading your biography right now. You "were" a very bright fellow, even if you initially were a "royalist."

"After you FAIL Economics 101, sign up for Airline Economics 101 next semester and you will learn that most airlines spend more money catering their planes for an international flight than they spend on flight crews for that flight."

I have not been on any commercial international flights lately and thankfully. However, I have been on a "few" domestic flights, much to my shagrin. I doubt that your catering costs, everything combined, hit the 40% of revenue amount as employees costs do. Otherwise both being added up it would hit 80% of your revenue...not much left for gas, planes, gate fees, etc. Now about your catering/passenger there have been some numbers publicised that reflect <$1/pax. AirTran is the only carrier I know that gives you a whole can of coke! By comparison our catering costs avg $20/head...but then again we run a first class operation.

Having started this flight department from scratch over 13 years ago and being responsible for budgeting I hardly think I need to attend your eco class. I know all of the categories and how they all interface. Me be knowin the bottom line....yours appears a little fuzzy. But maybe it is "new math" in disguise. Where I come from revenue-costs=profit. You have a different equation?

I am not really into bashing any other type of operation. I am extremely happy to be where I am. We all have our "niches." I am proud to serve the folks I serve by flying safely, keeping the standards high, being appreciated and highly compensated by those I work for. If you could only be so lucky, I suppose.

I do feel sorry for those of you who think you are worth more than your company does. The good old days are gone or soon will be for the pilots of 121 ops. For the drivers out there it is a job. For the pilots it will always be a love affair. I always want to fly with pilots. Drivers are dangerous.

My hope for you is happiness, tailwinds enroute and calm winds on all landings.

PS Glad you finally saw the light, Ben. If not we would all be working for the Brits.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back